Saturday, February 5, 2022

January Snow

 

I love everything about a snow day. 

I love the anticipation leading up to it. Checking and refreshing the weather multiple times a day. For days sometimes even before the storm comes. I love getting the house picked up and ready so we can relax and enjoy whatever is in store. I love getting out in the yard to put all the bikes and toys away. 

I love the moment the first raindrop becomes a flurry. And then watching the flurries turn to big white flakes. I love the nights spent with the lights off and all the curtains open as the white snow reflects the moon’s glow as we sit and sip and listen to records. I love going to sleep as the snow continues to collect on the ground, wondering what gift of depth we’ll wake up to.

I love waking up to the sound of my kids bundling up to go take their first voyage into the snow for the day. I love the low hum of the dryer as it dries wet, snowy clothes all day as the kids go in and out of the cold.

I love the piles of boots and coats and gloves and socks and towels...the fresh smells from baking in the kitchen...the tingling in my toes as they begin to thaw.

And even as it begins to melt away and the white blanketed yard turns to a mixed pile of water and dirt...the practice of contentment and anticipation for what is coming next. The beauty of rhythm and routine and mundane that can be just as beautiful if we choose for it to be so.

Happy snow days, friends.
















No comments: