Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lessons From The Lord On Parenting And Chronological Reading Plan

In October I began reading through the Bible Chronologically.  There are so many different reading plans, but after listening to some of the ladies in my small group who have or are reading through the Bible this way I was really intrigued to read the Bible in a new light.  In a new way!

If you google "Chronological Bible Reading Plan" you will see several different variations so I just picked one and have stuck with it.  I like this particular one because it doesn't have specific dates.  You can pick up whenever you want and just keep up with it a week at a time.  I also like that there are check boxes next to each reading.  I mean really, who doesn't like to check things off after they've been accomplished.

Alright, enough about that, let's get to the point of this post:)

I FINALLY finished Numbers and am currently in the middle of Deuteronomy, OH BOY... (can you hear the sarcasm?)

I really have enjoyed it, for the most part and I've picked up on so many things that are just too good not to share.

In Numbers, there is a part where the Lord is listing off all the different rules, rituals, offerings, attire...I mean, I guess that's what the whole book is about, but this is what's funny about it...

After every section the Lord doesn't feel like He needs to give an explanation or reason for any of it.  I mean, I'm sure the Israelites wanted to know why they were considered "unclean" all the time and spending more days than not outside of the camp waiting to be "clean" again.

But the Lord gives them none!  All He says, over and over, is "...I am the Lord Your God."

Ha!  Does that sound familiar to you at all?  No?  Maybe this will help, "...because I'm your mom" or "...because I said so".

See, it's totally biblical:)

Now, don't get me wrong!  Josh and I totally agree with all the parenting literature that says that children need an explanation why they should or should not do something.  We parent this way, trying to let them know why jumping from the stool to the bed just isn't such a good idea or why screaming and running during a funeral isn't so appropriate or why puppy really shouldn't "smell" the candle or why stickers are meant for paper...not the bathroom counter, (funny how all of these are labeled "Zeke", ha!), but sometimes it should just be enough to say a command and have immediate obedience.

Here was another thing I noticed.  Now granted, the Lord is God and He can do whatever he wants, but I just couldn't help but laugh...

Here is what the Lord told Moses in Numbers 11:19-20 when the Israelites were complaining about always having to eat Manna and they just wanted some meat:
"You will eat, not for one day, or two days, or five days, or 10 days, or 20 days, but for a whole month-until it comes out of your nostrils and becomes nauseating to you-because you have rejected the Lord who is among you, and cried to Him: 'Why did we ever leave Egypt?' "

Bahahaha...the Lord was so tired of the Israelites complaints about food that He was like, "Fine!  You want meat?  I'll GIVE YOU MEAT!  So much meat that it'll make you sick!"

But then I am reminded that the Lord really does love us.  He really does have our best interest at heart and we need only to listen and obey.  He loves us enough to be patient with us.  He loves us enough to forgive us, over and over and over.  He loves us enough to guide us.  He loves us enough to "correct" us when we are guilty.

"The Lord is slow to anger and rich in faithful love, forgiving wrongdoing and rebellion.  But He will not leave the guilty unpunished..."
Numbers 14:18a

I love my God!  He loves us!  Surrender your life to Him today!

4 comments:

Kelly Via said...

It's awesome that you are reading chronologically too! So far, I am really enjoying it. Can't wait to get to Numbers ;)

Stacey said...

Stacey:
A name for the most awesome girl ever. A girl who is constantly thinking about others and never herself. Good looking, kind, selfless, and funny. Loves surrounding herself with close friends and always enjoys life.
Stacey is the epitome of class and good taste.

Yeah! That's crackin' funny!

Stacey said...

Oh sure! Leave it to me to comment the meaning of my name on the wrong post!

Yeah. Everyone can look at it and say, "Who's this ego trip?"

Haha.

By the way, I just started with chronological as well. Interesting to read things as they occured. I had no idea Job lived before Abraham!

The Via Colony said...

HA! That is pretty funny if you read it and don't know what the comment is for, ha!