Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Getting Dirty

When I have a project that requires me to get dirty I don't usually look forward to the initial "getting dirty" part.

If it's painting, I always start out very carefully, so as not to get any paint on me, the floor, the ceiling, the tarps. Then, out of nowhere, I see paint on my forearm. Then a spot on the ceiling and then I become a little more careless. I mean, I've already screwed up, what's a little more paint here and there?

If it's playing outside with the kids I don't necessarily enjoy the itchiness from the grass and, the stains on the jeans or the sticks in the hair, but once I morph into character, even Spiderman can't hold me down!

If it's trimming the bushes in the front yard, I start out slowly, tip-toeing around, trying not to get pricked by the holly bushes and watching out for spiders. But after I start getting a little dirty and begin sweating it doesn't bother me as bad. Give me an hour and I'm like Rambo, doing whatever it takes to get those bushes trimmed. Holly bushes? Go ahead and prick me! Spiders? I laugh in the face of spiders! Sweat? Well, that's just gross, but what can you do?

But isn't that how sin creeps into our lives?

At first you hate the sight of it. You tiptoe around it, sometimes running away from it, but then, without warning, it appears right in front of you and, if you are unguarded, it jumps right into your life. After the initial act, you've already gotten dirty and you become less careful. It begins taking over slowly and before you know it you are knee deep into a stronghold that you can't seem to get a hold on.

Then, you just become plain careless, thinking that you've already gone this far, what's one more...

"Be self-controlled and alert.
Your enemy the devil prowls around like
a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
I Peter 5:8

But there is hope! There is ALWAYS hope with Christ!

"No temptation has overtaken you but
such as is common to man; and God is faithful,
who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what
you are able, but with the temptation will provide
the way of escape also,
so that you will be able to endure it."

I Corinthians 10:13

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Thanks Tasha ... I love it. And by the way, I may have to steal this at some point. Isn't that what ministers do: Sanctified plagiarism?