Saturday, August 24, 2024

Cereal Isn't A Bad Word


I have a confession to make.

I don't make breakfast for my kids.

Nope.

I actually haven't since back in the day when I used to puree my own baby food for them.

But I do buy cereal. 

Yup, the "c" word designated for us "lazy mom's" who don't have the capacity to think about adding one more meal to the daily queue. I mean, it's hard enough knowing these humans want to eat dinner EVERY NIGHT. The nerve. And I still ration the cereal to one bowl a day (because large family probs).

But I don't even feel guilty about it.

I've talked before about how we don't go out to eat hardly at all (because large family probs), so I designate my cooking efforts toward dinners. Plus, I know my capacity and it does not include getting up before the kids do just to get them breakfast. I get up for other reasons, but not to whip up a breakfast casserole or anything.

What I HAVE done is equip them with the skills to make their own breakfast. It could include breakfast burritos, omelets or scrambled eggs. They also have other options like yogurt parfaits, oatmeal, toast or protein smoothies. All of which have been added as they have gotten into their older elementary aged years. But almost always their breakfast includes a bowl of cereal.

And all of these options can be made all.by.themselves.

We've got our three staple cereals to ensure the majority can be consumed by our dairy free and gluten free kids too: Rice Crispies, Honey Nut Cheerios and Frosted Flakes. Nothing super fun so I at least eliminate most of the junk found in boxed cereal. 

We keep it simple. 

Their bellies get full.

And I don't have to worry about meal planning, prepping and cleaning another meal up before the day even gets started.

So here is my permission to you. 

If you continually feel stressed over the breakfast-time rush and all that it entails, go buy a box of cereal, kiss your kids on the forehead and know that you are still a fantastic mama!

No comments: