Thursday, July 25, 2024

Day 8: Horse Ride - Family - WWII

I loved the cabin we stayed in. And the kids did too. It was literally right next to the pool where they were pretty much any other time they weren't out on our daily adventures. I promised I wouldn't post the picture I took of the boys in their workout headquarters. They seriously had the best room though. No, seriously. They got the master suite, ha! JUDE had the entire king size bed to himself while Cai and Zeke took the bunkbed in the same room. That allowed them to have their own bathroom which the rest of us sure didn't mind. They held daily workouts together with the weights we brought from home because muscles are important. 

The other bathroom had the girls room on one side and me and Josh on the other. It was perfect (minus the oven that didn't work, but whatever).

I got up the next morning and did a solo hike around the property collecting wildflowers.




This was before heading out to Mt. Princeton Riding Stables for a ride through the terrain on horseback.












Shortly after we got back from riding, my Aunt and Uncle (who we stayed with in Colorado Springs) and their two kids (you'll recognize Danny from when we went through Denver) came bearing dinner and a sweet night hanging out. My cousin Becky is almost my age and Danny is almost my brother's age. We were the best of friends in the summers growing up!


We settled in after dinner for a presentation my dad has been tirelessly working on. Back when my mom was teaching fifth grade, her students would go through WWII in history. When I was a kid I remember the summer they asked my Papa to recount war stories triggered by a stack of pictures. They recorded the stories on cassette and put together in a slide show, correlating the photos on slides and the stories on casette tape to play for my mom's students. My dad recently converted it to one format (I believe that is the true technical word) into a video that we watched together. It was the first time some of the kids had ever heard their great grandpa, much less hear the war stories of him as a feisty, hilarious and not-afraid-to-get-into-trouble medic in WWII. It was really special to be able to view that altogether.



No comments: