Tuesday, July 1, 2014

First Things First

Some days I wake up ready to tackle the day.

Other times I wake up and just want to roll over and opt out of the day's activities.

But regardless of the way I feel, I still have to get up and be the mom I need to be to these 5 little people who will, Lord willing, be able to make their own breakfast one day.

So I try to start the day off right.  

For starters, I go around the house and open up all the blinds and/or curtains to let the sunshine penetrate through the darkness.  I've done this since I was a child.  What a difference some natural light can make!

Then, I make my bed and then ensure that the covers of all the kids beds are at least on their own beds.

The last thing that I like to do is make sure the kitchen is in order (by lunchtime).  This one doesn't always happen the way I'd like, but I try to make sure the girls have unloaded the dishwasher and I have loaded the dishwasher back up with breakfast dishes, and cleared off the counters taking everything out of that room that doesn't belong.

The book I've been reading, "Say Goodbye To Survival Mode", also encourages this idea by stating the positive effects of having a morning routine for yourself.

So take some time, put a short morning routine together and get on with your day!

These little things can make such a big difference, because even if nothing else gets done that day, I can at least reflect back on the morning work that happened.

No comments: