Friday, July 4, 2014

Currently

At this very moment I am sitting next to my love
in our backyard
by the fire pit
with a sweater on
because the wind is almost fall-like chilly
listening to the soundtrack of creation switch from chirping crickets and croaking frogs to the singing and chirping of frogs while the sun awakens

We are finishing up our final days of track out before the kids begin their new year.

These past 5 weeks have FLOWN by.

We have taken full advantage of our time together swimming, picknicking, playing at parks, traveling to see family, sleepovers, play dates, and just running around town together.

I would be lying if I said I weren't ready for school to start back up though:)
It will be nice to have the structure back, even thought that means I will be packing 4 lunches this time around, ha!

Zeke turns 8 on Sunday.
For some reason he had gotten in his head that the fireworks on the 4th were for him, but this year, for financial reasons, Rolesville had to cancel their 4th of July fireworks production (which we typically just added to Zeke's birthday celebration since we could see them from our backyard).  We had to break it to him that the fireworks are, in fact, NOT for him, but for the actual 4th of July celebration for our country.  I think after the initial shock, he was ok with it, ha!

Last night, after a very long day, I was attempting to get the kids in bed (while Josh was out at a late meeting with a worship guy).  The kids were beyond exhausted after a fun day out with friends, and my frazzled mommy-brain had shut off before rehearsal had even finished at Journey, but the kids aren't gonna put themselves to bed.  One particular Colony member was having a particularly difficult time complying to my demands to get his bedtime routine complete and I was about to lose it, so I decided I just needed to get myself ready for bed and locked myself in my room while this one child carried on and on in the hallway outside my door.  I had no more words and he had lost all ability to think rationally.  Cai came sauntering down the hallway and sweetly said, "Zeke, just try to calm down buddy. It's ok.  You are just going to make her (talking about me) more mad. Mom, can you try to calm down?  It's ok. Zeke just go hop in your bed. It's ok. Just caaaaaaaaaalm down..." .  It was one of the sweetest things I'd heard in a long time.

I've been reminded this week about the danger of judging a book by its cover.  There is almost ALWAYS a reason why things are the way they are.  Why people are the way they are.  Why someone does the things they do.  Try to get beyond the cover.  Try to sift through the chapters of the book and find out the why before making a personal assessment without the back story.  It can save a lot of hurt and maybe even breed a true friendship:)

The sun is fully awake and the Colony is beginning to stir so it's time to go.

Happy Friday ya'll!

PS-I was also reminded by a tweet this morning, not to heed Katy Perry's advice...you are, in fact, NOT a firework, so take the necessary precautions to ensure your personal safety today!

No comments: