Tuesday, September 20, 2011

More Than Bags And Airplane Rides

It's no secret that we have been running full steam ahead this week trying to tie up all the lose ends here in America before venturing off to the beautiful land of Uganda to pitch our tent for a few weeks while we finalize our adoption.

Josh's parents offered to keep the kids for an extra few days after vacation so Josh and I could be free to run all the errands we need without having to drag them along.  I must say that I feel like I've been working 12 hour days this week(end) getting things done and I can't even imagine how much longer each trip would be taking if I had 3 kids to add to the mix.  So thank you, Meme and Poppy!

It's been kind of quiet around the house without those three.  Josh and I have caught ourselves waking up at night because we've thought we've heard one of them crying or kicking the wall with their feet:).  Weird.  I've enjoyed getting things done, but I sure do miss them...

But in this quiet house, while Josh is away working on his latest project, I've had a lot of time to think.  A lot of time to pray.  A lot of time to prepare.

I feel like during this part of the adoption process we can get so caught up in the details that must be done, like buying medication, packing bags and games and food and clothes and..., printing documents, emailing, faxing, signing, that we can miss a very important part of the preparation.

We are bringing another life into our family.  She is already a beautiful little 2 1/2 year old girl with very strong likes and dislikes;)  She has a place she calls "home", she has friends that she plays with, and caretakers that she depends on.  This is probably going to be scary for her when it really sinks in that she will no longer be at the only familiar place to her.

We have some big transitions just around the corner.

Our biological children have some big transitions just around the corner. 

Their toys are not going to be just theirs anymore.  Cai is going to have to compete more than ever for the love and affection that Alethia so passionately needs as well.  Areyna will not be the only girl in the family.  In fact she is going to be sharing a room with her little sister that will most likely eat her lip gloss and tear out her princess pictures.

We are also very aware of the strong spiritual presence in Uganda.  Unlike America, which is saturated with internet and technology that distracts us just enough to ignorantly look the other way, we have seen some very scary and very real spiritual warfare while in Uganda.  It is eye opening.  It can be hair raising and chilling.  We have been praying intently for our children's tender hearts and minds (as well as our own) as we venture overseas for the next six weeks.

I am less concerned about the dangers of this world but of the things that are unseen, yet all around us. 

My mind has been consumed with my to-do lists, yes, but more so for the changes that are up ahead. 

It is exciting!  Oh yes, so much so that words cannot describe my feelings. 

It is terrifying.  More so than I'd like to admit sometimes.

It is a picture of God's faithfulness.  Because I could not do this in my own strength...

To God be the glory...even in this!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! We're so excited for you guys and praying with you in this HUGE journey for your family!

Kelly Via said...

Great post, Tasha. FIVE days! Praying for you guys each day as the time arrives for you to head to Uganda. You guys are going to do great with the next step of your family's journey.

Stacey said...

Tasha, I will commit to pray for you and cover you while you are in Uganda. I know you guys are part of a great church and I am certain they will be praying for you but just know that the Lord is contending with those who contend with you. (Psalm 35)

Jennifer Hambrick said...

so true. it is easy to get so focused on the details and forget the bigger spiritual issues. you know we are praying!

mommajeane said...

We are praying and rejoicing with your family. It is a blessing to birth new life into your family. I am so excited for your family as you begin this part of your journey.

Ashley said...

Your family is in our prayers. Can't wait to see pictures and follow your story! God bless you and keep you.