Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gifts For New Moms

I was just thinking about some baby showers that are coming up for some friends of mine and what I was going to get them.  There are always a few things that come into my mind first thing when I think about what helped most for me that I'd want someone to pass on to me if I were the first-time mom.

1- Praise Baby-This was a lifesaver.  My kids LOVED the DVD's and still fall asleep at naptime to the CD's!  Zeke has memorized just about all of the songs from those CD's=)  It is so soothing and calming to them.  For some reason these videos can calm them down when nothing else can.

2- Baby Wise - I would have never known how much a baby should/could drink at different stages and how to keep my milk supply up or how long (on average) babies can sleep at different stages of their little lives.  I know everybody doesn't agree with the whole "schedule" approach but I can't imagine our lives on the road without a schedule.

3- Diapers/Wipes - For a newborn Pampers Swaddlers worked the absolute best for our kids.  When Areyna was born we had had several baby showers that stocked us up with plenty of diapers and wipes to get our journey started.  I don't think I bought a single diaper for her until she was 3 months old.  ***TIP-stores are legally obligated to take back un-openned packages of diapers for you to exchange for a different size if your child grows out of them and you have a huge stockpile.  (If they carry that size and brand).

These are just the first 3 things that pop in my head.

Can you add to the list?

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

A boppy pillow was a lifesaver for me! Good ideas, Tasha

Ashley said...

Some sort of crib toy. Trey has this aquarium where he can push a button and it plays ocean sounds, music, and lights up. He has been addicted to it since day one and we change the batteries at least once a month. It may never come down!!

mel said...

First, I've never heard of the Becoming Baby Wise book! So, thanks! Do you think it was helpful when you were breastfeeding? I am the first in my family to do so and it's very difficult. I am constantly talking with my LC making sure that what I'm doing is good and right. I'm always worried that I can't/won't be able to keep up my supply with how much Arwen eats. I might have to pick this up!

Second, a new idea that I've come up with has been to add a little spice to regular ole Gerber cloth diapers. Chris and I started using these for burp cloths, so I stiched some fabric down the center for a little decor! They've been a hit so far! And I've made recieving blankets to go with them too. In fact, my next post was going to be discussing all the babies coming along that I've been creating gifts for!!

I think the Boppy is a great idea too! And books. We love to read and have read to Arwen since I found out I was pregnant.

Joy@WDDCH said...

I'm very practical so I follow the registry list. My favorite thing to do is buy all the little, inexpensive things and put them together in an elaborate gift basket (medicines, grooming kit, books, little toys, an outfit, baby towels/washcloths, sheets, etc.).