Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Meels On Wheals...Any Ideas?

Sunday mornings are kind of crazy, as so many of you know. Not just for people in ministry, but for all of human kind who attend Sun. morning church and have kids. Most of the time when we are going to be leading locally at a church I have a lot of preparation that needs to be done on Sat. night, such as laying out the kids clothes, shoes, socks and jackets. I also pack the diaper bag so as not to leave anything at home that could be of necessity at church, like diapers, an extra pair of clothes in case Rainy has an accident and of course an extra "bubby", Zeke's blanket. I also have to plan accordingly for meals. I always have to pack a breakfast since we usually have sound check and sometimes even band practice BEFORE the services which means waking the kids up early and puting them directly in the car, and sometimes I pack a lunch if there are a million services that run into lunch, like at our home church. Anyway, I'm running out of ideas for breakfasts especially. The kids are getting pretty tired of granola/cereal bars and dried cereal. We eat on the way to the church most of the time so I have to have something that will not completely destroy the car and still keep the kids clothes clean for church. I tried poptarts and will never do that again. Let's just say that the gooey middle isn't always a GOOD thing. If you have any ideas please let me know, my kids would be super grateful!!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Quaker Oatmeal breakfast cookies and oatmeal to go bars are realllly good, the kids might like them. I guess they are really similar to cereal bars, but they might be something a little different.

Emily Jennings said...

I was just going to say the SAME thing. I had a coupon for those Oatmeal cookies and we love them. ALso, my kids love instant breakfast, so sometimes I just add like half a pack of that to their milk and give them something like a banana.
I also found a recipe for home-made granola bars and they were very good and easy for a change.

Kelly Via said...

There is a little girl in my class at Journey who has a "breakfast Drink"...probably something like an carnation instant breakfast...you could try that. Also, Cana loves Nutrigrain Yogurt Bars...they are similar to cereal bars too, but she loves them. Bananas are great for Cana too, because they are easy to carry and easy to carry with you too. I'll keep thinking for ya Tash.

sheltonfamily said...

I was going to say a "smoothie" that you put into a sippy cup to eliminate the mess, fruit snacks, dried cereal, and we always do granola bars as well so no help there! I love your organizational skills. I feel like I do okay at it, but if I'm great at it life is so much easier with the kids!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Ella won't eat much sweet stuff like cereal bars or granola bars (weird, I know)...so I usually end up doing things like cheese sticks or a turkey/cheese tortilla roll-up. You could also do pb&j roll-up on a tortilla for Zeke? Apple slices make less mess than bananas for us. Oh yea, Ella loves the drinkable yogurts too. I think that the protein in cheese/turkey/etc. stick with them better than the sugary stuff anyways.

Steve Bowman said...

Hi Tasha,
When Maggie used to have to rush off to school, I would make several "portable" breakfast sandwiches or burritos. Take and english muffin and add a slice of cheese and ham or turkey, and egg (pop the yoke so it doesn't ooze) and make little egg mcmuffins. Or you can use those small bagels and put cheese and whatever source of protein in it. Just nuke them before you leave the house. Make a bunch and freeze them and take them out the day before to begin thawing in the fridge.

The breakfast burritos are good too. Use the Fajita sized tortillas, make scrambled eggs (let it cook into one big egg and then cut it in long strips when cooled so it isn't in a bunch of messy scrambled peices) cut strips of cheese and lay on top then roll up and nuke before you are ready to eat. You don't need to add a lot of egg before rolling up. It will fit into little hands easier.

Make several of each and keep on hand.

Hope this helps! I know you have helped me recently!

You're a great mom!
Janie