Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Last One, I Promise!

Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

Last night I called my mom in Colorado Springs, CO. I had a pretty stressful day, or so it seemed. I miss her so bad sometimes. It's crazy how it all works; you live life with your parents for 18 years, not appreciating them, sometimes annoyed by them and sometimes not even wanting to be around them. THEN, you grow up!! You appreciate them, you understand why they did the things that annoyed you, and you wish so badly to be close to them. My mom has a way of helping me find God's perspective on life. She read to me Isaiah 45 and encouraged me to curl up with God and spend some un-distracted, quality time with Him. I have my regular devotions, but sometimes I have that "list" going around and around in my head of ALL the things I've got to get done. So this morning I prayed that God would take away those distractions. I am almost done with the book I've been reading by Lysa TerKeurst and I promised I wouldn't share anymore for fear that nobody would want to buy their own copy but I just have to share this. You can read here and/or here to read the other two posts on the book and what God has taught me through them. But today, I read about God's plans vs. my plans. Directly correlating to what my mom read me last night, Praise The Lord. I like to think of myself as pretty organized. I cannot stand clutter and chaos. I must have a plan and things must go according to plan=) Then, reality steps in and one thing goes wrong and the whole plan falls apart, including me. See, my problem is, I set my plan before consulting God and asking Him for flexibility. I should, instead, seek His counsel, plan my course and then allow the Lord to determine my steps, even if they aren't the ones I've planned out for myself. God knows best. We've heard it a hundred times, but his timing is perfect. He knows what I need when I need it. He will only allow me to take on what I can bear at the time. It all goes back to trusting in the Lord and what He's promised. God, help me to live out what I believe and teach!

3 comments:

Josh Via said...

Awesome stuff, babe. I love you so much.

mom said...

May I quote Josh - "I love you so much."

the broomes said...

I have "I miss my mom and wish that she was closer" days quite often! That book sounds really great--thank you for sharing insights from it.