Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Look Up

I was out for a run.
One of those runs to take back the day and show it who's boss.
The kind that makes me a better mom and allows for my kids to want to be around me.

But my body was feeling suffocated by life.
By anxiety.

It was one of those runs where I felt like my legs were made of lead and every muscle was begging me to stop but I was determined to make it to my goal (I can be a little hard headed).

Since one of the Colony members destroyed (another set) my ear buds (thank you Jude) I had nothing to listen to but my own thoughts swirling around in my head.


And all I could think about was my hurting knee.
The nearly 90 degree heat.
And the distance I still had to run to be finished and get on with my day.
You know, the day that I needed a break from since I rolled out of bed.

All of a sudden I passed a man walking his dogs.
We made eye contact as he smiled and said "hey" and I huffed a quick "hi" in return.


But because of that distraction my eyes were up off of the trail underneath me.
I realized just how beautiful it was outside.
I noticed how the sun was shining through the trees.
I observed the squirrels and rabbits off in the brush.

Before I knew it I was another mile in and hadn't even thought about my aching knee, or the heat, or the day that had thrown me for a loop.

I am so easily caught up in my stride and the things right around me that I neglect to see what is in the distance.

And the distance is full of hope and grace and fresh mercies.
The distance is full of purpose and motivation to keep running.

And that makes my steps a bit lighter and the distance seem a bit shorter.
It takes my focus off of me and places it back on the one who sets the pace and promises that everything will work together for my good if I keep my eyes on Him (Romans 8:28).

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2

1 comment:

K. Ann said...

Lovely post. It's so easy to dwell on our own problems, but so refreshing to look "up" to the one who gives us so many blessings! I recently have been reminded to literally look up while walking outside. I have also been observing and photographing the sky a lot lately, even out of my morning windows, and it's breath-taking. God bless you as you continue to look up.