Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Objectively Speaking

I am the first to admit that I'm an emotional thinker.

I can't help it.
It's the way I was made.
But even so, that doesn't mean that it's the RIGHT way to be.  I mean come on, just because I am MADE a certain way doesn't mean it's ok to embrace it, it just means I have to depend on the Lord even more in this area, to help me do it the right way.

But let's say I've been hurt by someone, or worse, you have hurt my family member(s) or a friend.  I'm just not going to like you very much.

At least that's my immediate response.
My default.

But the older and wiser I get, the more I am realizing the NEED to think objectively.

I can't just be mad at someone because of something I've heard that they've done.
I can't get frustrated because of a choice someone has made that is different than the choice I would have made.
I can't just believe something someone says without reading between the lines, praying about it, and then making my own decision and needed response.

In fact, I might be sitting in my self-inflicted so-mad-I-feel-like-my-insides-are-on-fire mental state for several hours before I ever realize that I need to check my attitude AND my thought patterns.

I have a handfull of people in my life that automatically pop in my head that are great objective thinkers.

Here is what I see:
they don't rush to conclusions
they don't jump on the trending bandwagon immediately
they don't just take someone else's word for something

they let the situation/act settle instead of fester

They can back away from the situation, no matter how personal it is, in order to get a proper assessment.
They can see through a bad choice and remember the life-long character behind the one acting inappropriately.  They can see between the lines of action to the root of the problem.

I am done basing my thinking on my inner hurts and feelings.
I want to strive to think objectively.

Because thinking objectively is the only way of loosening the grip of bitterness and revenge, and praying for the "enemy" who is doing the hurting.

No comments: