Saturday, January 18, 2014

Birthday Wishes

Yesterday was my birthday.

I know I'm supposed to say I'm 27 and pretend like I'm not actually getting older.
But I AM getting older. And, at least for now, it doesn't phase me.

I'm an unashamed 35 now!

I had the most simple, sweetest birthday ever.
My kids gifted me (and re-gifted to me) all day.
I received a mountain stack of pictures and cards, pencils and markers, some used tape, a necklace from the dress-up bin and my favorite, a sheet with 3 1/2 Cars stickers on it:)

Josh made me a crumb cake so we could celebrate with the kids.
It even had a plastic car from the toy bin cake topper.

Anyway, you can't do a birthday cake without candles.
And you can't have candles without blowing them out.
And you can't blow them out without making a wish.

I don't care how old you are, if you have a birthday treat, with a candle on top, you KNOW you still make a birthday wish too...right?!

But this year, all I could utter in my head was a quick "wish" to be the woman He wants me to be this year.  I even ended it with an "in your name I pray, amen" by pure coincidence.

My gift from Josh.
The significance runs deep so it was the PERFECT gift!
Then, we had our belated Staff Christmas party that night.  It was the perfect end to a fabulous day.

I got a Julie Schuler Key Lime Pie made just for me!

And on top was...another candle, and another room full of people waiting for me to blow it out.

Wishes weren't even appropriate as I stood among a room of some of my favorite people in the world.
The staff we serve with love us.
They are family.
They care about OUR family.
We are on mission together.
No strings attached.
No pressure to be someone we aren't.
And that is a dream come true.

My life is far from perfect, and I certainly have my share of days where I'd either wish for a "restart" or even to forget about altogether, but I am so thankful for where God has me.

This season.
This husband.
This Colony.
This church.
The friends I am surrounded with (even if they aren't physically close).

I'm in my dream and it's my life.

No comments: