Monday, October 28, 2013

Laughter Is The Best Medicine

When I'm down in the dumps and nothing seems to be going my way sometimes the only thing that brings perspective back into focus is finding something to laugh at...mainly myself!

I mean really, what better way to lighten the mood.

Today alone, I have found several things to laugh about.

Like the fact that I decided to run a half-marathon, on a whim, for the very first time (I was just going to go for typical 5.5 or 6, but why stop there?!) without eating breakfast and then entering the world of motherhood to 3 kids, 1 of which doesn't sit still for more than 16 seconds at a time, and on a day where there is no option BUT to go to the grocery store.  Every time my hamstring screams at me I just laugh at how idiotic that was, ha!  Not my brightest moment:-)

Or maybe when I was trying to be all proactive and get dinner prep complete before Rainy and Zeke got home from school.  I took one too many shortcuts and tried to snap the corn in half instead of cutting it, only to be showered with corn particles and juice all over the front of me, and then go to wipe my eyes with my onion-juice-soaked hands.  You can just imagine my reaction (it's not appropriate to type it all out, just in case I've accumulated some younger readers).

Hmmm, let's see...another one was when I change an ultra full diaper (come on, I KNOW I have some other ration-the-diaper moms out there!) only for Jude to poop within minutes of a fresh clean change.

And if today's laughs aren't enough I can move on to some all-time favorites, like when a black woman came up to me and asked, "So, what do you have GOING ON with her hair lately?"  Offended?  Not in the least!  Poor Alethia.  I'm a busy mama and I can get lazy in the hair department on occasion.

Or like when I decided that a U-turn into the 4 ft. ravine would be better than staying on the pavement, and busting the radiator and the entire right side of the vehicle.  Ok, maybe that one wasn't so funny, but I can at least thank God that we are all okay and laugh about conversations that occurred afterward, like Alethia telling me, "See, that's why I like DADDY to drive."  (Yeah, we're still working on that filter of hers;)

These little things may not be funny tomorrow (or after we get our insurance quote for the damage) but today I'm just gonna choose to laugh.

No comments: