Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Talking Myself Off The Ledge

One of our Colony family rules is to "always tell the truth".

You know what though?  I've found that this simple rule, when applied to my anxiety, can make a world of difference.

When I have anxious days, and there is no apparent trigger or reason for the anxiety, I have to continually recite Philippians 4:8 over and over to myself throughout the day.

Because let's face it.  Anxiety is wrapped around fear.  Fear of forgetting something.  Fear of the "what if's". Fear of the potential news coming from the phone call or email.  Fear of not getting something accomplished in time.

And fear is wrapped around lies, distractions and deceit.

Many days I talk myself off the ledge by reciting this simple verse:

"Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, 
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, 
whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, 
think about such things."
Philippians 4:8

This verse is the tool God has given me to combat the rising anxiety that brings me to the ledge.  And that is one of the most praiseworthy things to reflect and meditate on.

1 comment:

Kelly Via said...

This verse is a frequent one that ministers to my heart as well. AND, for many of the same reasons. God is good like that.