Tuesday, May 7, 2013

From Homeschool To Public School : No Regrets

Making the choice to transfer Rainy and Zeke into Public school was one of the best decisions we could have made for them!  With all of the special needs Zeke has in the classroom there simply just wasn't enough of me to go around.  I would have never been able to get him to where he is today on my own!  And I'm okay with that.

Because when we have nights like the other night, where Zeke asks for his extra workbook from his special resources teacher to practice his writing, the thing he most despised and feared about school at first, my heart rests assured that he is exactly where he needs to be.

Yes, he still gets many letters mixed up that look similar and he still writes many letters backwards or upside down, but he can now tell me all the letters in the alphabet, make their sounds, match the capital and lower case, sound out words, read through simple books and has numbers 1-20 down pat!





And now when asked what his favorite thing about the day is, he more often than not, replies with an enthusiastic, "WRITING!".

Yes, I have days where I pout about how long they have to be in school away from home, but then they come home and tell me about their cool field trip on the big yellow bus, or how they conquered their fear of buying a lunch all by themselves, or listen to them pray for a classmate who has been making foolish choices, and I KNOW they are at the right place in this stage of their lives.

Nope.  No regrets.

2 comments:

About Our Family said...

I am so thankful that you posted this today, Tasha. When we returned home to Gaffney, we were able to return to a church family that we absolutely love and have missed terribly. However, we are literally the ONLY family in this church that does not homeschool. (I think I told you we put the girls into school a few months into this school year after a lot of thought and prayer.) This past Sunday, specifically, was hard for me. Our pastor was talking about freedom in Christ and, even though he meant that we aren't supposed to judge others' choices (like the choice not to homeschool), the discussion afterward left me feeling so hurt and discouraged. Thank you for reminding me that we have done what is best for our children right now and that it's not only okay, it's good. Our oldest has special needs, also, and she has absolutely thrived in school, where she did not in homeschool. So thanks for writing this. :)

Kelly Via said...

Tasha, I love these pictures of Zeke WRITING! And I love that he is doing so so well!! You are a wise Momma to know what is best for your kiddos. I know that was a hard decision and I am so so glad to see you have NO REGRETS!! That's something to celebrate and be thankful for!