Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I Don't Want To Miss It


I was talking with my friend the other day...

...have I mentioned how much I learn from the ladies that God has chosen to surround me with?!  They are an invaluable resource and speak into my life in so many ways that other people simply cannot...

...anyway,

we were talking about how we get so caught up in "doing" the mommy things that we lose sight of just "being" the mommy.

The laundry that needs to be done, or the dishes that need to be cleaned, or the dinner that needs to be cooked, or the bills that need to be paid, or the project that needs to be finished...

If you are a woman, and you have any ounce of air in your lungs, you KNOW EXACTLY what I am talking about!

Yes, every single one of those things is important.

Yes, every single one of those things needs to get done.

Here is where I get stuck, though.  I see all these things that need to get done.  I make a list.  I set out to conquer, meanwhile I keep saying, "After I get dinner going I'll go read Alethia her book", or "I'll let you help me fix lunch tomorrow, let me just get it done really quick today", or "as soon as I get that back splash up I can relax and just hang out with the kids".

But in reality, as soon as I finish getting dinner going I move on to the washing machine and start switching a load of laundry.

The next day at lunch time I'll be in an even bigger hurry and leave a disappointed 3-year-old standing there as I pick out the plates for lunch, a task that he is very capable of doing on his own.

I finally get the back splash up, but while I was finishing that task I was already mentally onto the next house project that I was going to begin working on.

This race, called life, will not ever be complete until we are looking Jesus in the face, and then it will be too late!

Too late for the life lessons that can be learned by including them in my every day.

Too late for the story times and the make believe.

My kids are growing up right before my eyes and I'm running out of time.

I will only have these little years to invest into for so long.

I don't want to miss it!

3 comments:

Wendi NC said...

I have been having these same thoughts in the last few days. This stuff has to get done but I want my kids to remember that I played hide and seek and that I let them make a mess on the kitchen table painting the dinosaurs we bought at the dollar store. It's going to cause me to go to bed later and get up earlier to do the house stuff I have to do but one day they'll be out of my house and I don't want to miss this either.
I actually stopped making lists other than grocery. My own anxiety issues made me think that I was a loser if I didn't complete EVERYTHING on the list so I had to stop making them.

Josh Via said...

I'm so proud of you, Tasha Joy. You are an amazing woman and it is the absolute joy and pleasure of my life to be in this journey of parenthood with you.

-josh

Kelly Via said...

I have these thoughts every so often as well. What a fabulous post. I certainly don't want to miss it! You are a great mommy to 'not miss it,' Tasha!!