Tuesday, November 27, 2012

That'll Preach

Preaching doesn't only happen on Sundays around here.

As a matter of fact, it happens on a daily basis...at least inside of my mind anyway.

Let me explain.

As someone who struggles with anxiety, my mind likes to play tricks on me.
More-so than the average person.
For someone with anxiety one tiny thing can turn into a massive snowball within seconds!
And that "one tiny thing" can turn into "a dozen tiny things" by lunchtime.

It's never-ending.

I begin replaying events and scenarios, most of which haven't even happened (yet), until I've worked myself into an emotional basket case.

I'm grasping at false realities and reacting as though it is truth.

I am in a constant battle with my mind and spirit.

Scripture tells me to dwell on things that are TRUE and PURE, but my mind wants to dwell on made-up realities that may or may not even happen!

When we are commanded to clothe ourselves for battle I take that literally in every sense of the word.  This battlefield in my mind can be an easy target for Satan and if I give him any ground you better believe that he'll run with it.

So how in the world do I fight this fight that is not of flesh and blood?

I have to constantly preach truth to myself.

All. Day.
Every. Day.

It is exhausting, but at the end of the day I KNOW that I KNOW what is truth and what are lies from the deceiver.

You'd be surprised where those little seeds of doubt or rehashed conflict come to surface.
In the shower on an early Sunday morning.
In the aisles at Target.
In the car.
While I'm trying to meet with my Savior in the morning.

It never ends.

It's exhausting.

But God has equipped me to preach (to myself anyway;).
It's not a luxury for this girl.
I will not survive without the truth constantly being spoken.

Reminding myself of the facts.
Sans emotional sways.

It's worth the fight.

Maybe you are like me and need a constant preaching-to throughout the day.  You may not even struggle with anxiety but there is a situation that continues to haunt you.

It might do you good to memorize these verses with me:

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, 
whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, 
whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue 
and if anything is praiseworthy - meditate on these things."
Philippians 4:8

Now, that'll preach!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great reminder Tasha! Thank you :)