Wednesday, October 17, 2012

No Land, No Animals...Just God

A couple of months ago my Quad completed Aliene Thompson's study through Joshua called, "Radically Obedient".

It was a GREAT study!  I highly recommend it.

One thing that I read stuck out to me that I just can't seem to shake off...in a good way.

In a life changing way.

In a perspective focusing way.

Joshua 13 is kind of a boring chapter, unless you like to study an Atlas like my husband and daddy, of course:).  But being the type A must-completely-read-every-word-to-consider-it-read person that I am I read it anyway, and I'm sure glad I did.  The whole chapter talks about all the land that Joshua finally possessed and the inheritance divided among the different tribes.  By the time I got to the last tribe at the end of the chapter it said this...

"But to the tribe of Levi Moses gave no inheritance; 
the LORD God of Israel is their inheritance, just as he said to them."
Joshua 13:33

Um, what?!  No land?  No animals?  No nothing?  Just God?

WAIT...

Did those words just come out of my mouth, "JUST God"?

That really sunk into my soul.

Would I be completely content if God was my total inheritance?

I think so often we dwell of the "blessings" that God will give us in return for our obedience that we miss the point!  I don't want to ask for a burden for the lost and a boldness to share the Gospel, with the knowledge of acquiring more crowns in heaven to be my motivation.  I don't want to bless someone financially with hopes of a greater blessing from God in return.  I don't want to obey, thinking about what could possibly be...

What if God's blessing is Him!

What if there were no crowns, no financial or material blessing in return...only the promise of God in all His glory, saying "well done, my good and faithful servant"?

Would that be enough?

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Good Word! Thank you...