Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Remember The Birds. Remember The Flowers.


Rainy and Zeke's classes at Journey were focusing on contentment last month.

One night our Bible reading took us to Paul's letter in Philippians 4.

Verse 12 reads:
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

We discussed the word content and what it means in our lives to be content with the season God has placed us in as well as the things he has provided for us.

A few nights later we were taken to Matthew 6:25-34.  Honestly, the whole chapter is great, but this section is where our family landed.  We talked about things that make us worried and anxious.  Specifically the fear of not having what we think we need.

We pointed out verse 26: "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?"

Next we discussed the beautiful flowers talked about in verses 28-30: "And why do you worry about clothes?  See how the flowers of the field grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you-you of little faith?"

Now flowers and birds are something my kids can relate with!  Paying bills and putting groceries on the table?  Not so much:)

The thing with our relationship with Christ is that in order to HAVE that relationship with Him our faith must be put into action...and that is how we shine God's light through the way we live.  By showing those around us that we trust in God to do what He says He will do, and be who He says He is.

We try to teach this to our children.
And they must have been listening to those discussions. (Sometimes I wonder.)
Because the next morning, the morning that I happened to pay all our bills before the kids got up for the day, I was feeling a little stressed (believe me, you don't want to be near our office during that time, ha!) and Rainy picked up on the tension level surrounding me.

She put her hand on me and said, "Mom, remember the birds. Remember the flowers."

She has been that gentle reminder that I've needed several times over the past few weeks.

When I'm fretting over the bickering brother duo...
When I can't seem to get anything checked off of my to-do list...
When the laundry pile continues to grow...
When I can't find 5 minutes to write a simple post...(had to throw that one in there;)

Areyna is there to remind me of God's promise and truth.
"Remember the birds. Remember the flowers."

These passages teach us that things will not make us content.  God will.  And we don't have to worry about our "things" because He's got us covered.  We are far more precious to Him than the sweetly singing birds or the beautiful flowers that blanket the fields.

What is it that keeps you from being content? What is it that brings fear and anxiety?

Maybe you just need to remember the birds and the flowers.

1 comment:

Emily Grace Little said...

Love, love, love this! Thanks for sharing! That's one wise daughter you have. :)