Monday, September 17, 2012

Lessons From The Classroom

"Learning Together" School for the Via Colony has been in session for over a month now!

I can hardly believe it.

Areyna has done incredible.  I haven't had to fight her to do school once.  Okay, maybe once, but that's it:) It isn't uncommon for her to wake up in the morning and inform me that she has completed her school for the day in her bed before falling asleep the night before.  This goes against EVERYTHING inside of me.  I know it's silly, but in my head she is supposed to start at a specific time every day, sitting contently at her school desk as she works diligently on her work for the day.  But that isn't what motivates her to learn!  So, if you can't beat 'em, you might as well join 'em.  I went out and bought her one of those clip-on lights so she doesn't have to keep holding her flashlight.  SHE LOVES IT!  Hey, if it motivates her to read to Alethia on her own accord and excites her to teach her sister all about ranches, farms and how to count by 9's I'm all for it!

In fact, she has added to my teacher assistant help for the preschool and she is FANTASTIC!  The school board may replace Mrs. T if she doesn't step it up, ha!

Zeke is doing well.  I am realizing that he is going to need some extra help in some areas.  I've taken his Psychological report to the school behind us and he is officially registered as a visiting student in the WCPS system.  I'm really excited for him.


I have had SO much fun with Alethia and Cai.  They are SO eager to learn.  Everything in their little world consists of triangles, circles, letters and colors now.  I LOVE IT!  They can now recognize and write the first letter in their first names.  We have introduced A-F and numbers 1-4.

We talked about "family" and what it means to be a family.

The one thing I am having to wrap my mind around is the fact that this is, in fact, a homeschool.  It isn't traditional school, nor will it ever be.  I am so type-A that I have a hard time with the flexibility of homeschooling, as hard as that may seem for some of you.  So, I'm having to just let it go, realizing that my kids are not going be behind in life because we happen to do things differently from week to week.

It's okay.  I'm telling myself it's okay. It IS okay, right?!

Anyway, we are in the thick of it, loving it (most days) and am not running out of steam...yet!

So, we press on.

Here's to another month of learning together.

2 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

What a great looking month...I'm so glad you are off to a great start!

Kelly Via said...

One great month down, many more successful months to go!! Way to go, Mrs. T!!