Monday, June 25, 2012

Well If You're Gonna Buy Organic...

...you should at least figure out which things are worth shelling out the extra dough on!

There is NO need to go "all organic", unless you just really have a few hundred extra bucks sitting around for groceries.

In my quest to find the healthiest, most cost efficient, way to feed the colony I've compiled a list (from several different sources) of which foods to buy organic and which ones are fine to buy...uhhhh..."unorganic":)

Now, this isn't to say that we buy these certain foods organically 100% of the time.  We firmly believe that we can do the best we can, with the budget we have been given, and the Lord will honor that!

Foods To Buy Organically:
apples
celery
strawberries
peaches
spinach
nectarines
grapes
peppers
potatoes
blueberries
lettuce
kale
collard greens
fatty meats
milk (and milk products)
cucumbers
eggs
beans
coffee
wine
chocolate

There is NO NEED to buy these foods as organic:
broccoli
onions
corn
pineapple
avocado
asparagus
sweet peas
mango
eggplant
cantaloupe (try to buy this domestically though)
kiwi
cabbage
watermelon
sweet potatoes
grapefruit
mushrooms
bananas
papaya

One more thing to note - the cheapest place I've found to buy organic and healthy food is Trader Joe's.  In fact, I just got my big groceries there this week and spent $125 which is no less than I would have spent anywhere else (even with coupons) because we have pretty much cut out snack foods, boxed meals, boxed vegetables and boxed and processed foods.  If I were to spend $125/week for a whole month I would actually be staying in my grocery budget a month for a family of 7!  Not too shabby.

I also do ALDI for just about everything else on my list.

2 comments:

The Martins said...

Thanks for sharing this! I am really struggling right now to stay under budget for groceries and having a hard time since we also are trying to get rid of the whole middle section of the grocery store! I'll have to try out trader joes

Kelly Via said...

This list of 'no need to buy' organically is very helpful!