Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Straw Bale Gardening 101

Now, don't be jealous when you see the beautiful pictures of my garden!

Just kidding.  You're allowed your one moment of jealousy.

Especially when you see the luscious, green grass growing all around the perimeter:)
 And when you see just how fertile these straw bales have really become!
 For some reason when people come over we have to keep repeating that it is a garden
and NOT a pet cemetery...
In all seriousness though, I am just laughing it off.  I mean really, what's a woman supposed to do when she leaves for weeks at a time during the hottest part of the summer.  Her garden goes unattended and dries up.

I've been reading in the New Testament over the past few weeks.  All these vineyard and field owners just hired workers and slaves to do the work for them.  I am beginning to realize that this just might be the way to go.  I can just pay them in beans and pumpkins, ha!

There's always next year:)

Wait, this year's not over yet!  I think I'll try to use these super fertile bales for some good.  I think we're gonna clear out the beautiful, green grass around the inside and plant some fall crops.  Anyone want to come get a Pumpkin from our patch this fall?

1 comment:

Abbey said...

My pumpkins are going CRAZY in our straw bales. They totally dig whatever the straw offers them in terms of nutrients! Go for it and hopefully you will be reaping pumpkins soon:)

Here's a pic from my facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100331264041063.2710793.6239890#!/photo.php?fbid=10100417221811003&set=a.10100331264041063.2710793.6239890&type=1&theater