Friday, July 23, 2010

Fun Facts For Friday - What Makes You "Snap"

I don't know what it was. Maybe PMS, maybe lack of routine, lack of drive and motivation, or maybe it was just a desire for the craziness of summer to be over and my family back together, but I was feeling pretty down the first half of the week.

I wanted...needed, to get out, but didn't really want to talk to anybody.

I don't know, it's hard to explain.

One thing is for certain. I needed to snap out of it...and pronto. I still had three kids that were counting on me for love and consistency.

Here are a few things that have at least a 95% effective rate for getting me out of a funk!

1 - Music - choose your music wisely. I almost ALWAYS have it playing in the background, but it can play into your funk if your not careful. I like to get on Pandora and search for new artists and genres.

2 - I was spontaneous. My best bud, Jenn, was having a similar week. She called me on Wednesday morning on her way to the doctors office asking if we wanted to meet them at Chik-Fil-A for lunch. It was last minute and my kids were super cranky and complaining about everything. I decided that her call couldn't have come at a better time! Jenn and I made a "no obligation to carry on conversation" policy (you can do that with close friends) and had a great time together. We even enjoyed some good conversation in spite of our "policy";)

3 - I set up the pool and had mandatory outside time. It's amazing what some good ol' sunshine and fresh air can do. It has been WAY TOO hot to just play outside, but you can't go wrong with a little water in the kitty pool!

4 - Instead of trying to think of what I needed to get done during nap time I ended up falling asleep with Areyna and Zeke, reading by my side. The nap was great and the snuggle time with the kids was much-needed. Sometimes the pile of laundry, the unmade bed, and the dishes in the sink can just wait!

5 - I prayed A LOT about my attitude...and the kid's as well. I have to make sure I get up earlier than the kids. It's the only time I can think clearly and focus on Christ completely and give Him my undivided attention.

BONUS FACT: Josh got home Thursday morning. *sigh* That always helps the "funk"!

When you are in a funk what kinds of things make you snap out of it?

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I really, really, really, really, really (have I said that enough?), really needed this post today. Thank. You. So. Much. I was in a funk, still am in a funk, and desperately needed a step-by-step how to in order to get out of my funk. I'm starting with #5. ;) Thanks, again!!!

Work At Home Mom said...

Oh I am so feeling the same thing! I find myself easily losing my cool nowadays. My daughter has been demanding more time from me, and hubby has been the least cooperative. I badly need to get out of this too. I may try some of your tips. Thanks!