Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lessons From The Gardener #2


ants. Ants. ANts. ANTs. ANTS!

I can't seem to get a handle on them.

Originally I thought I had some kind of critter, ie. rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, deer, etc. eating my garden. I got Critter Ridder, a cage, netting to go around the perimeter AND the top, and STILL, my garden was constantly being eaten.

My dad found the culprit while they were in town last weekend. It is the ANTS that have taken over my garden. The cage I have built around my whole garden cannot keep these pesky things out!

I have tried almost ALL the "home remedies" I've found for these guys:

Boiling hot water
Hot Coffee/Coffee Grounds
Sugar (you'd think I'd set up a barista in my back yard!)
Baking Soda

The last thing I tried was corn meal. We'll see how that does. I'm running out of condiments!

2 comments:

Carissa Miller said...

Hey Tasha! I had an ant problem last year and two "old timers" told me their old country remedy for these pesky little creatures. They told me to sprinkle grits around their anthill... apparently the gluttonous little critters inhale a grit which then expands in their stomachs and makes them explode! I don't know how you feel about mass genocide for a colony of ants- but if I have a vote- I am routing for your vegetables to live on!!

The Via Colony said...

That will def. be next on the list. I'd heard that from several other places when I was searching around. Glad to hear it works from someone I know=)