Monday, September 7, 2009

Cell Phone Etiquette


I was talking with my brother-in-law a while back about cell phone etiquette.  He was being ragged on because he wouldn't return his missed calls.  The caller never left a message, he was just expecting Jonathan to see that he had missed the call and make the call back.

What do you think?  If someone calls you but doesn't leave a message are you obligated to make the call back?  

I don't think so.  The ball has not technically been passed on if the caller doesn't leave a message asking you to return the call.

Here's another one...

I have a few friends who will initiate a text conversation.  When I get a text I try to respond right away, so naturally I return their text but they will wait hours, and sometimes the next day, until they actually text back to finish the conversation that they initiated.

So, if you are the one that initiates the text conversation shouldn't you be responsible to see it through until completion?

I want to know what you think...

4 comments:

Abbey said...

I wrote a similar blog a while back. If a caller calls, I don't call back, unless, well I want to talk to them. Double standards, I know. Oh well.

Ashley said...

I think you should totally return missed calls IF you recognize the number. Because, a lot of people don't like to leave messages, and if one of your friends happens to be a person like that, then why not call them back?

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I call back only if I 1)want to talk to them or 2)they left a message =)

I'm not much on texting because we don't get good service here...so I can't offer much opinion there. But, I am pretty sure I'd be annoyed if the person didn't "finish" the conversation with me that they initiated. Kinda like hanging up mid-sentence then not calling back.

Kristie T said...

1) I agree, I only call back if I want to talk to the person, or if they leave a message.

2) I have gotten distracted (by the kids...) in the middle of a text conversation and then forgotten to text back for several hours. Unless the matter is pressing, I tend to treat texts like emails. Maybe I'm just not text savy and don't know the rules.