Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Guess That One Won't Work Anymore

If you are around young kids for any time at all you know that you have to "sneak" food around if you don't want to share it with them, especially the kind with chocolate and sugar in it.  

Well, when I was pregnant I had the perfect excuse to eat or drink whatever I wanted to in front of the kids.  If one of them asked, "Mommy, what are you eating?" or "What do you have?" I would simply respond with "Oh, it's just something for the baby in my tummy."   After explaining one time that "the baby has to eat too" it just became normal to them when I'd snarf down a snickers or chow down on some other kind of yummy snack.

Well today, after snagging my usual CVS deals/freebies, I came back out to the car where Josh sat, waiting, with Areyna and Zeke.  I had gotten 2 Reese's packs for free, one for me and one for Josh.  I was needing my usual chocolate fix and started eating mine right away.  After inhaling my 2 peanut butter cups I placed the wrapper in the cup holder in eyesight of Zeke who was sitting in the backseat.  Without hesitation he asked "Mommy, what did you have?"  I automatically replied with my usual response "Oh, just something for the baby."  He looked at me out of the corner of his eye as if to say, "I know better than that" and said "What baby?"

I guess I'm going to have to come up with another excuse for indulging in my cravings...either that or start sneaking them again=)

5 comments:

Susan Sene said...

I was able to get free Reeces too - got the dark chocolate ones...so yummy!

Cute story!!

the broomes said...

...You know, technically, you are still eating to feed the baby. I'm sure Micaiah appreciated that extra bit of caloric intake from his mama:) ...And since Areyna and Zeke are definitely aware of where his food comes from, it just might work.:)

Kelly Via said...

HAHAHA....nice Tash! I'd sy go back to sneaking.

Sometimes Cana won't even see my snack; she will just see me chewing and say "What's in your mouth Mommy?"

Ashley said...

This is hilarious. They learn too much too quick.

Kristie T said...

Haha! I'm fully guilty of sneaking too. I usually end up sharing if I get caught red-handed. I haven't yet decided if I'm trying to do the best for my girl's health or just being selfish. :)