Sunday, May 3, 2009

Life Without Daddy - Day 1

Josh left yesterday for a week-long event in VA with his dad so it's just me and the kids.  Today we got up and went to the early service at church and then headed out to conquer the grocery stores.  They did GREAT for the most part.  

I normally dread mealtime with the kids.  I just feel like I'm running around the kitchen the whole time and by the time I sit down the kids need something else or I've forgotten something.  So, I've been really motivated to make this week pleasant for everyone and I think I've found some ideas that helps in a HUGE way!  

First, let them participate and help in the preparation.  Lunch was awesome.  I stood in one place and the kids took turns getting the things for lunch out of the pantry and refrigerator.  They loved it!  First they each picked out a plate. Then, Zeke got the peanut butter, Areyna the cheese, Zeke the carrots, Areyna the pretzels, etc.  I just delegated.  They even went to the recycling bin several times together throughout the day by themselves=)

Another idea I had while searching for simple, healthy meals that the kids can help me make for dinner I came across some ideas for Themed dinners.  So, I made my weekly menu according to our theme for the night.

Tonight's theme was Morning Time.  I kept it simple tonight because it's Sunday night, but just added a little twist.  We all got dressed in our jammies and pretended like we just woke up.  We shut the curtains to make it kind of dark in the kitchen and had breakfast for dinner.  The kids weren't sure what to think about it at first but by the end of dinner we were pretending too.  They even started asking what we were going to do tomorrow.  I'm gonna surprise them every night with a new theme.

Come back tomorrow to see what we have in store for our Monday Night Dinner Theme=)

4 comments:

sheltonfamily said...

so fun.... I sometimes dread meal time as well...I try to get it all done while they nap so all we have to do is sit down and eat. However, I still get up so many times for extra needs etc....I'm sure the theme week will work awesome. They might even eat all their meal!

Joy@WDDCH said...

Very cool! I feel the same way about mealtimes and I hate cooking. Especially because my kitchen has been in remodel mode for THREE YEARS! We still don't have floors in there. I dread going in there.

Anywho, love the themed nights! I like doing "color" or "shape" themes, too. Building brains and eating nutritious!

Tim said...

We had pancakes Sat. morning but they kept sticking to the non-stick pan?... Zeke looks like he's going for the goods and just picking out the chocolate chips!

Josh Via said...

I sure do miss you guys! Can't wait to get home! What the heck? Themed dinners without me?! No fair!!! Tasha, everybody at this church thinks it's so awesome that we've got a 3rd on the way! But you should see their mouths drop when they hear that all 4 sisters-in-law are preggie at the same time. HA!