Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Little Concerned

You may remember my post last week about my kids having ear infections.  Since Zeke is allergic to Penicillin he was on a different anti-biotic that only lasts 5 days but works for 10 days (don't ask, I don't know how that works either) and Areyna was on a 10 day anti-biotic which should have ended today.  On day 7 of her anti-biotic she started complaining about her ear again and it was getting worse by the hour.  By day 8 she would actually walk around with her hand covering her ear and dinner time was a balancing act between eating with one hand and propping her head up on the table and holding her ear in pain with the other one.  

This had never happened in the middle of an anti-biotic treatment so I wasn't sure what to do.  I called the pediatrician and they gave her a stronger, more potent anti-biotic.  When I talked to my mom that day she said "Oh I'm so sorry!  I always hated it when you kids were on anti-biotics.  You all acted so weird.  Andrew (my little brother) would get extremely hyper and I was so thankful for him to be done with his medicine."  

I really didn't think anything of it until about 2 hours on her new medication, Areyna is bouncing off the walls.  She is a maniac.  She has more energy that I've ever seen her have.  She is jumping around, intentionally running into things, talking REALLY loudly, laughing obnoxiously and, well, acting more like Zeke!!!  So, mom, you called it.  I hope these next 9 days go by VERY quickly, and if you see us in the next couple of days please know she doesn't need "help", she's just heavily medicated=)!

3 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Oh wow...lets hope these next 9 days go by quick...for everybodys sake!

Just curious...what medicine was she on and what did they switch her to?

Brandie said...

oh wow!! hope the week goes fast..:)

Jennifer said...

you are probably done with this now... at least I hope so.. but I found raw garlic to be a big help in fighting infections... I use it myself instead of antibiotics. I will just eat straight whole raw cloves. It is not kisser-friendly but it DOES go away :P I now this is not a super option for kids (not an option at all!), but depending on what they're used to, maybe they would eat hummus or tapenade or something on crackers etc. that has a little more crushed fresh garlic than average in it... if they eat it like crazy like mine, then it could be helpful... though not likey a cure if the infection is that bad, but helpful is still good!