Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why Don't I Just Do It?

Early in the summer I was diagnosed with a crooked pelvis.  I am about 1 1/2" shorter on my right side than my left.  This is why the lower left side of my back hurts, and possibly why my left knee hurts when I go jogging.  Anyway, Dr. Anderson gave me some simple stretches to do that should help alleviate the pain and help correct the problem.  Who knew that a few simple stretches could be all I need to get better.  

The thing is, though, I've been really lazy to do them.  I KNOW it's going to feel good to stretch those sore muscles, I KNOW the feeling afterwards will be rewarding, I KNOW the benefits to doing these stretches will be life-changing, yet I continue to skip out.  

Josh started noticing this trend of mine, maybe from my constant complaining about how my back was hurting, so he decided to "help" me remember to stretch.  He set 2 alarms on my phone for me.  One is set to go off at 10:30am and the other at 4pm.  I was good about it for a few days but then, whenever I'd hear the alarm go off, I'd stop what I was doing, walk across the house to turn my alarm off, and then GO DIRECTLY BACK TO WHAT I WAS DOING BEFORE!!!  Why in the world don't I just do it.

We do the same thing with so many areas of our lives.  It's funny how these kinds of things bleed over into EVERYTHING, whether it's doing a few simple stretches, exercising, eating right, SPENDING TIME WITH GOD!

I have found that once I get into a routine with God I tend to be more structured with the other things in my life.  Well, maybe not everything ... I need to go turn my alarm off=)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aren't we humans so funny with our habits?

we NEED God to help us with even the everyday things we don't want to do..........

desperately

need

Him.

Anonymous said...

I just read your bio! My husband use to travel every weekend and lead music for youth events and churches. A few months ago we felt God calling us into ministry in the church, where he is now the outreach pastor. I pray God blesses your ministry! I found you through the moms blog!

Joy said...

That sounds familiar!!! I do stuff like that all the time... so sorry your back hurts!