Sunday, September 14, 2008

What A Mess!

Josh got a call on Friday afternoon from a 1-800 number and I am SO GLAD that he answered!  It was the main bank office and they were asking if we had just purchased $125 worth of gas in Texas after just making a purchase in NC.  Josh quickly replied with an, "ummmm, NO!"  That wasn't all.  There were 3 transactions that had already been cleared and 13 that were still processing.  Apparently someone had stolen our debit card #.  We NEVER use that card on the internet or give that number to ANYONE over the phone, so we aren't quite sure how they got the number.  The banker said that stuff just happens and there is no other way to prevent it.  Our account is so messed up now.  As of right now it says we have $.29 after over $2000 of overdraft fees and misc. transactions.  I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I set up our overdraft protection the other day either, since they continually over-drafted our account while depleting our savings at the same time!  AHH!  The bank said they'd fix it all and that they will waive all the fees.  Hopefully this will all be settled soon.  I'm about to go get groceries for $.29.  Can I do it???? Ha!

3 comments:

Emily Jennings said...

Oh, that's terrible! That happened to my parents, on a credit card, not too long ago. They are pretty sure a server at a restaurant copied the number and used it online. Crazy how easy it is!

Joan said...

That is ridiculous. Terribly sorry that happened to you. My husband had his identity stolen 2 years ago, they started getting Credit cards from every single store imaginable Lowe's Home Depot, Sears - you name it. My husband has never had a credit card a day in his life. This all started the month we were moving out of our rental home to go purchase our first home and have it built. I was horrified. Perfect timing right? We spent almost the whole 9 months of the construction clearing it all up. God was good to us, by the time we signed our papers and closed escrow everything was off and his credit score went back up.

Sorry to bore you with that long store. *lol* Point I was trying to make was, I know what you are going thru. Thank the lord your bank called and you picked up!

Joy said...

Ugh, that is SO awful!!! I'm glad your bank caught it. And luckily they WILL fix it!

I tried reading your blog yesterday and it wouldn't let me! I'm glad it's working today!!!