Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy Heart Chart

The Happy Heart Chart


Josh's mom found these reward charts and gave them to me.  I made them into "Happy Heart Charts" for Rainy and Zeke.  I must say that Areyna "gets it" better than Zeke because of her age, but her enthusiasm is helping Zeke understand the whole concept.  She loves it so much that her first groggy words after peeling off the covers this morning were, "can I have my happy heart sticker?".  

Here are some things we give "Happy Heart Stickers For"...

Areyna:
1-Going potty before we leave the house or before nite-nite time, "just to see if anything comes out".  She rarely has accidents anymore, but she has a really hard time going when I ask her to.  I think she feels like I don't trust her to tell me on her own.  This is working really well.
2-For helping Zeke stay in bed like a big boy=)  She likes to be a helper.
3- For obeying "all the way, right away, with a happy heart" during times that are usually difficult for her.

Zeke:
1-For waking up and STAYING IN BED and being "patient" for mommy and daddy to tell him he can get out of bed, INSTEAD of getting up, banging on the door and/or crying/screaming.
2-For obeying "all the way, right away, with a happy heart" just about ANYTIME.  This is REALLY difficult for him.

We're still working on the list of things to get stickers for, but it is really fun to see them get excited about having "happy hearts"!

When they get a whole row complete with happy heart stickers (10 in each row) they get a surprise.  The first one is a sucker.  Any other simple, small, cheap ideas for "surprises"?

4 comments:

Kelly Via said...

Well, once for a surprise we went to Target and let Cana pick something from the $1 spot. She LOVED it! Or the dollar tree is fun. We have also done ring pops...cause they are such a novelty. Or Ice cream night!!

I love your chart! Way to go!

Joy said...

Dollar store! You can find all sorts of inexpensive trinkets and toys for a buck.

You could also give them an "Ice Cream Certificate" or a "Movie Pass" to use on the weekend!

Joan said...

That's a very good idea! I wonder if something like that would help with my stubborn one.

Emily Jennings said...

We like books. I collect them here and there (like used book sales, etc) and give those for prizes.

I love the chart!