Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Parenting Picks

I have several friends who are either pregnant with their first child, just had a new baby or are beginning the "discipline stage" of parenting who have asked for recommendations for good parenting books.

Here is a list of some of my favorite resources that have helped outline how Josh and I parent.  Let me know if you would add to the list and what book it would be!

***I always feel the need to preface posts about books by saying that Josh and I DO NOT take every word to heart from every book we read!  We take out things that we feel will be beneficial to our family and move on.  Ok, I said it, sheesh:)***

Let The Children Come Along The Infant Way (Let The Children Come Series, Volume:  Many of you know this as "Babywise" and as soon as you hear it you shudder and swear never to read my blog again.  But, let me just say that this book was a life saver to us as new parents.  Not only is it just a book, it gives great practical advice and guidelines as to what is healthy and normal for the average child.  It doesn't state to have all the answers for every child, but it does let a new mother know from an experienced mother how to keep a healthy milk supply, how to teach healthy sleeping habits, how much a baby should be eating, pooping and sleeping.  A lifesaver, I'm telling you!

Don't Make Me Count to Three: a Mom's Look at Heart-Oriented Discipline - I absolutely LOVE Ginger Plowman.  I attended a parenting seminar that she gave several years back and am still referencing things I learned that weekend.  I am an advocate for everything she has written!

Wise Words For Moms - This is such a GREAT tool!  (Another Ginger Plowman book, wouldn't ya know!)  It is a little booklet with some of the most common things that cause discipline issues in the family, such as sharing, rude words, hitting, etc.  This little pamphlet walks a mom through a Biblical way to reach the child's heart.  It gives the mom a guide to parent using key references from the Bible that speak about these specific circumstances and how to correct them through speaking God's Word.  Excellent resource!  Here is my little blurb about it:)

The Bathtub Is Overflowing but I Feel Drained: How to Defeat Mommy Stress - This book by Lysa TerKeurst was an absolute life changer for me!  You can read my write-up HERE...and HERE and HERE, ha!  (Yeah, I just kinda liked this one...)

Shepherding a Child's Heart - Josh and I strongly feel that in order to correct behavior long-term you must get to the heart of the issue.  I mean, isn't that what your counselor tells you when you go into your weekly sessions?  He/she will work with you until you get down the bare bones and figure out what is at the bottom of whatever has snowballed out of control.  It is no different with children.  If you know the heart of what they are feeling then, not only can you guide them accordingly, but it will hlep you, as a parent, have more compassion and patience where it is needed.

The New Strong-Willed Child -This was a great book too!  We were desperate for direction with Zeke and this book was really helpful to differenciate between his rebellious outbursts and his stubborn tendancies.  Here is my write-up about the need for this book.

Parenting With Love And Logic (Updated and Expanded Edition) - Now, this is one of those books where Josh and I had some issues with a lot of what was said, but one thing that stuck out to us that was a great take-away, was the point that we should give our children choices.  Here is what I think about choices and children.

Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches - This book is not just for families praying through or in the process of adoption.  What an eye-opener it has been for us!  Josh wrote an excellent review about it HERE.

Making Children Mind without Losing Yours - Read my review here.  Great, practical parenting advice.

Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days - Here's my review.








Ok, so that should be enough to get you started:)

But see, I've read all these books already so what do you have for me?  Parenting is an ongoing process and I want to grow in my parenting just as I grow in my walk with Christ!  So, bring it on...

What would you add to my list?

6 comments:

About Our Family said...

Thanks for all the great resources! I would definitely add "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" by Steven and Teri Maxwell. We went to a conference of theirs a couple of years ago and it totally changed the way we parent. It was also what spurred our decision to get rid of tv. (Saying that may mean that no one will read the book- like you said, though- we don't always agree with everything but, since they have Godly, adult children, a lot of what they say has proven to be effective.)Anyhow, here's the link if anybody is interested:
http://www.titus2.com/ecommerce/products/prod_listing.php/1140

The Via Colony said...

Thanks! I'm going to check it out:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Tasha,
As they get older I like Lisa Whelchel's book "Creative Correction" It has some great ideas for discipline with Scripture.
Kim Royal

The Via Colony said...

Thanks Kim! We love how ya'll parent so we are def. looking into this one:)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for posting these books!

Stephen and Tara said...

I am reading "Grace Based Parenting" right now by Dr. Tim Kimmel. I have really liked it so far!