Monday, August 18, 2008

When Mommy Needs A Time-Out: Part 1

*I could not have read THIS POST at a better time by my friend Shannon.  You should stop right now and go read it before finishing the rest of my post. 

Zeke has got to have the worst case of the terrible two's I've ever seen (and I used to be a pre-school teacher, so I would know!!).  If you don't know us personally just go HERE to read about his stubborn tendencies.  Don't get me wrong, I love my little boy so much!!  I can't imagine what my life would be without him.  

Josh and I pray daily for our children to be convicted of their sin at an early age and realize their need for a personal relationship with Him.  We know that our children are sinners, just like us.  We also know that all children go through phases...and I have been praying every day that this phase will be over soon=)  I went on-line and ordered The Strong-Willed Child by James Dobson and it can't get here quick enough!!  

Zeke's attitude and temper tantrums have been absolutely AWEFUL the past few days.  We are trying to be as consistent with him as we can but I have started to get so ANGRY and UPSET that I just have to shut the door, walk away and put MYSELF in a time-out!  I am completely serious.  I know one of the best things that I can do for him right now is be consistent, not only in my discipline but with my attitude.  I WILL NOT tolerate a sassy little boy who throws himself on the floor and flails around just because I told him to "be patient for mommy to get him his juice" or who screams at me while violently banging on the door because I told him it was "still nite-nite time".  I do know this is just another phase and that God can work on his heart even now.  "This too shall pass".  

I do love being a parent!  It's almost NEVER easy but it is surely rewarding!  So right now, as I'm picturing a future of parent/teacher meetings with the principal and juvenile court dates I continue to pray for patience to get us through these little phases and wisdom to help shepherd Zeke's little heart toward the Truth.
Post a Comment