- Standing on the promises of Christ my King,Through eternal ages let His praises ring,Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,Standing on the promises of God.
- Refrain:Standing, standing,Standing on the promises of God my Savior;Standing, standing,I’m standing on the promises of God.
- Standing on the promises that cannot fail,When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,By the living Word of God I shall prevail,Standing on the promises of God.
- Standing on the promises I now can seePerfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,Standing on the promises of God.
- Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,Standing on the promises of God.
- Standing on the promises I cannot fall,List’ning every moment to the Spirit’s call,Resting in my Savior as my all in all,Standing on the promises of God.
I grew up singing this old hymn. Even now if I hear people mention the "promises of God" my mind takes me back to the words I sang over and over as a child.
The promises of God are what give us hope. (Romans 8:31)
The promises of God are what give us life. (Job 33:4)
The promises of God are the lifeline to WHO WE ARE IN HIM! (John 1:12)
The promises of God are recorded in the word of God.
Our sword. (Ephesians 6:17)
They are our weapon when fighting off the very real fight of the spiritual enemy who seeks to kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
Therefore (which means, because of the things that were just stated),
we must cling to the words of God, the weapon for fighting, in order to stand our ground against the enemy.
The Bible is our means for combating against our shaky and fickle feelings and emotions.
This weapon is what keeps Truth from getting lost in the sweeping currents of life.
But we can't stop there.
We can't just depend on the word of God for self confidence and fighting off the enemy.
Because sometimes the enemy is our own self.
(Beth Moore talks about this in the study I am doing entitled "Children Of The Day".)
Sometimes the very real enemy is other people.
Sometimes it is Satan himself.
And sometimes it is ourselves.
And the only way to stay on track is to know and study His Word.
Because it is the ONLY thing that is able to penetrate our hearts! (Hebrews 4:12)
Penetrate MY heart.
And I want that.
"In the beginning was the Word
and the Word was with God
and the Word was God."