Monday, April 5, 2010

What Does One Do?... Part 2

What Does One Do Without A Computer ~ Part 2
~ Gardening ~

We took our Holy Week activity of planting seeds to another level this year. I've been wanting to plant a garden for years and this week I think I got as close to fulfilling my fantasy as I'll ever get! We decided to plant vegetable (and strawberry) seeds this year. It won't nearly have the same effect as the fast growing seeds we've done in the past but we thought it would be a nice change.

We originally planted our strawberry plants in our flower bed...until we realized that it is FULL-BLOWN infested with Red Fire Ants and Flying Ants. I broke my computer fast to read up on some natural solutions to exterminate those pesky little creatures. I tried hot coffee, sugar and baking soda, which are all supposed to be poisonous to ants, to no avail! *sigh*

Determined to have a garden, I turned a section of our backyard into my own garden. Don't laugh, I've NEVER done this before and could use any tips for gardening that you could give.
Now, giving my track record for actually KILLING vegetation I'll be surprised to see if I can keep these veggies alive!

4 comments:

Kelly Via said...

Tash!! I am so excited!! I can't wait to see everything you planted! You will have so much fun, and so will the kids!! Way to go, Tasha!!!

Ashley said...

Congratulations on your first garden! It is hard work, but very rewarding hard work! Don't know what you planted, but for things like tomatoes and cucumbers, when they start to poke through the dirt, if they are in a spot where they get a lot of sun, break some small limbs off trees and stick them in the ground near the plants to help provide some extra shade until they get strong. And water, water, water!

If you have deer or raccoons or groundhougs, Lowe's carries this stuff called "critter ridder" in a spray bottle. Just spray the perimeter of your garden (hold your nose while doing this) and that should take care of it!

The Via Colony said...

Thanks for the tips Ashley! None of which I knew. See, I told you I've never done this before=)

Ashley said...

Hey Tasha! I don't do a lot of gardening myself, but we have bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, and...maybe a few others in our yard at home. My dad is big on using something like a wire cage around a lot of the individual plants. I know for the tomatoes it helps them a lot. That might be something you can look in to for the things you're growing :)