Friday, July 11, 2014

Colony Thoughts on Essential Oils - Part 1

Oh Essential oils.

The "magic" that is supposed to happen when applying these oils to different parts of the body sounds too good to be true.

But the more I learn about them
and the more my friends teach me about them
and the more I see the first-hand results from them
the deeper in I get.

I am FAR from an expert on them, and I don't think I'll ever know all that I need to know, but I am now a HUGE fan!

I've been getting lots of questions about them so I am going to answer some of the top questions I get in this edition of Colony Thoughts on Essential Oils.

What brand of oils do you use?

I mainly use Eden's Garden essential oils and LuSa Organics.  I have several friends who are DoTERRA representatives as well as several others who sell Young Living essential oils, which are also excellent oils as well.

I love the Eden's Garden Essential Oils.  Not only is it excellent quality but it is affordable.  Our family couldn't do essential oils using many of the other brands because they are so pricey.  That being said, you can often find oils much cheaper on Amazon, so I'm not just partial to the Eden's Garden brand, I'll look for the deals too!  

Let me know if you are interested in DoTERRA or Young Living and I'll put you in touch with a representative for those wonderful oils!

Which oils should I get?

The first oil I got was the LuSa Organics Sleeping Potion blend to help my overly active children calm down and sleep.  And, YES, it works!

After a while I began hearing more and more about the benefits of essential oils and started doing a little more research (and heeding the advice of super smart friends) and purchased Lavender, Lemon Peppermint and Tea Tree (Melaleuca).  I'd also suggest finding a "Four Thieves" blend from a trusted brand.

I have now slowly weeded out just about everything in our "medicine cabinet" and switched to the alternative essential oil "medicine".  I can't remember the last time I actually gave my kids medicine or even took them to the Dr. (hello NO co-pay!)  I take that back, I gave Jude some Pepto last week, but it didn't do much and switched to a ProBiotic and  then a peppermint/ginger blend for his terrible tummy. And after 4 days on this regiment I am happy to say that Jude's tummy is FINALLY back to normal!

Start simple and work your way up.  You don't need tons of oils for it to be beneficial!

How often do you use them?

Every day!
Literally!
And it only takes a few drops at a time!

I diffuse them throughout my house all day and I'm constantly rubbing something on somewhere, ha!

What do you use them for?

Literally everything.

Tummy aches
Motion sickness
Muscle aches
Headaches
Migraines
Stress
Odor/Scent
Gas/Bloating
Hormone balance
Anxiety
ADHD
Eczema
Washing off produce
Making homemade cleaners, skin care products, laundry detergent, etc.
Acne...

You name it, there's probably an oil for it!

What are your favorite blends?

These are some of the Eden's Garden blends I use, but you can find the equivalent of these in many other brands as well.

FOUR THIEVES ~ natural immunity booster
HEAD EASE ~ for headaches
RESTORATION ~ a digestive remedy for tummy issues (I just got this one and am excited to see how it works)
CLEANING ~ I make a lot of my own cleaning solutions with this.  I also like to diffuse it after I spent a long day of cleaning.
STRESS RELIEF ~ one of my absolute FAVORITES to diffuse throughout the day!
CALMING ~ calms nerves and mental stress
BREATHE EASIER ~ helps to combat cold and flu symptoms
EXHALE ~ helps with respiratory issues
PMS EASE ~ hormonal balance and easing PMS symptoms.  I diffuse this in my girls' room every night, ha!
PEST DEFY ~ to make my own bug repellant 

*I've heard WONDERS about Young Living's M-Grain for migraines as well!*

If I use essential oils will I stop getting sick?

Well, not exactly.  But they will help with prevention and aid in a quicker, more healthful recovery.  Added with proper eating exercise and chiropractic care your health will be drastically different!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had so much to write about that I decided I needed to divide it up into segments.  So make sure you come back for more information like recipes to make your own blends and switching out your own medicine cabinets!

DISCLAIMER: This information is based upon my own personal research, information, and experience:)  In fact, I have since (actually about 6 months after this post was written!) switched almost exclusively to Young Living Essential Oils.  I know that they are safe to ingest so I only use YL for my allergy blend that I ingest every day and for major medicinal purposes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this series! I have been looking into essential oils but didn't feel comfortable enough yet to make the plunge. I am thankful you are enlightening me!

Tonya K

Joy@WDDCH said...

We use doTERRA here and I cannot even begin to describe how skeptical that I was. But God gave us these wonderful plants and even our big Pharma meds contain essential oils (as well as other stuff, of course). Anyway one time I burned my hand on a 350F pot that I had just pulled out of the oven. The spot started bubbling up with a blister and it was probably the worst I have ever burned myself. I put a drop of Lavender straight on it (doTERRA is pure enough to do that; other oil brands may need dilution) and it stung for a few minutes and then the pain faded away. And stayed away.

I could NOT believe it. Not only that but the blister never finished forming and the next day there was nothing there. Lots of other amazing stories but that's my quickest, ha!

Michelle said...

Hey! I love reading your blog and I am interested in this whole essential oil thing. What oils do you use, or would you recommend, for ADHD?? Thanks!

The Via Colony said...

Michelle, if you read Part 2 I give a recipe for the "Peaceful Child" blend that I use on my sons feet! It has worked WONDERS for him!

http://tashavia.blogspot.com/2014/07/colony-thoughts-on-essential-oils-part.html

.tasha.