Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wisdom To Live By

This time in the morning that falls between 6:30am until around 8:30-9am is MY time!

It's kind of crazy, but I go to bed looking forward to MY time the next morning.

It is still dark outside, the house is quiet, nobody yelling "MOMMY!", no dirty booties to wipe, no meals to get ready, nobody fighting over squinkies!, the baby is still soundly sleeping and I have a BIG cup of STRONG coffee in my hands.

This is MY time to fill up.

I get to read, read and read some more.  No interruptions.  I get to just sit in silence.  I get to pray my heart out.  This is one of my "reading seasons".  I've talked about how I'll go through seasons where not much reading gets accomplished, but lately, I have been reading so many GREAT books to help mold me in so many areas that need refining and/or constant upkeep.

One of the books actually said that "everyone has something to teach you, if you will only be humble enough to accept it."

I love that!

So often I want to be the one with the great insight that everyone wants to gleam from, but how selfish and arrogant is that?!

I am such a slow learner sometimes:)

I am ever-so-slowly learning that I do NOT have all the answers and I truly can learn from so many others if I will just let my guard down and humbly listen to the people that God has placed in my life!

I met with a godly mentor of mine yesterday and she stopped me dead in my tracks!

At the end of our session she asked me how I was doing?  Of course I smiled and said that I was fine.  Then she looked me in the eyes and said, "no really, how are you doing?"

As I sat there I really had to think about that question.  Tears welled up in my eyes for no reason at all, except for the mere realization that I didn't even KNOW how I was doing.  I've been so focused on keeping my children clothed, fed, lifting both of the seats up on the toilet so as not to pee on the seat that mommy sits on, and somewhat happy that I haven't really worked on myself much at all.

I am very familiar with the two greatest commandments that Jesus gave His disciples.  I'm sure you know them as well; "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength" and the second is right along those same lines, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Whenever I see that second commandment I've always thought that it solely meant to love your neighbor...period.  I never, EVER, took into consideration the second half of that second commandment.  "As yourself" is actually key here!  If you are not taking care of yourself then you will most likely run low on what you need to take care of and love others.

I have 5 little others and 1 big other that God has entrusted to me.  How in the world am I supposed to give them what they need if I'm not getting in 3 square meals a day or taking time to process my life, my day or even the fight going on in the hallway over the squinkies!

This mentor will probably never realize the impact she had on me yesterday as she graciously poured into our family and into my life.  In one simple question with a very simple answer, she showed me that it is NOT selfish to take some "me" time to fill back up.

If you are not finding time to allow God to fill up YOUR tank you need to make that a priority now, before your tank runs dry and you are too empty to go any further.

4 comments:

Kelly Via said...

Great post from a wise momma!

Marla Brown said...

Too many times I find myself not caring for me... Again a reminder to do so, and it being a commandment never occurred to me... Thank you!

MeMe and Poppee said...

You are a wise woman far beyond your years. Thank you for this good reminder.

Unknown said...

Love this! Wow, what a great writer and mentor YOU are Tasha!