Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happy Face, Sad Face, SO Excited, Pause

I'm a pretty dramatic writer and I know it.  I just feel like a . just doesn't express my emotion quite as accurately as a!:)

There's the !
I use a lot of E!X!C!L!A!M!A!T!I!O!N!S! when I write.  I'm an excited person, what can I say.  I get passionate about what I write about and I feel like I need to express that somehow, ya know?!

This is different than the ?!
This occurs more after an exasperated statement like, what in the world was she thinking?!  Or, does grandma not know that the 55MPH sign is for her too?!

There's the :)
This isn't quite as excited as the ! but is sweeter than a . :)

There's the ;)
You know, for times when you are saying something true but want the reader to know that you are trying to make light of the issue.  Or maybe you are just kidding around and want to say something in jest.

Then there is the ...
It's the little pauses that bring the reader to the climax of the story.  Or just a break to express that you are really choosing your words...well...carefully.

How about the :(
When you are sad, but not the kind of sad like if someone passed away or got really hurt.  I'd probably put some ... there, but :( occurs more often when someone got a cold, or maybe a finger smashed in the door.  Maybe even when someone washed all their cloth diaper inserts with their blue kitchen rug.  That would definitely be an occasion to use a :(

So, I know I'm a little dramatic, but why not add a little spice to the words on the page...right?!:)

2 comments:

Sara G said...

*giggles* I like ! a lot especially when leaving comments or when writing about exciting and happy moments. However, for many years ... was like my best friend... always there... and with me all the way. But!! ! came along and likes to hang out more!! Have a great day!! :)

Unknown said...

Very cute!!! Now, I have learned when I have used punctuation incorrectly AND I am more aware than ever as to how much I use ! :) :( ;) ?!?!
I love reading your blogs! (happy exclamation)