Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hot Mama!

Both Areyna and Zeke have commented about my "pretty" hair today.

They either truly think it is pretty, which means that maybe I should think twice about the way I've been fixing my hair and the frequency of my showers,

OR

they just feel so bad for me because I've been so sick.  That would explain the gentle arm rubbing and sad faces when they've told me this:)

Oh well, I'll take the compliment no matter how it comes to me, I suppose!  Here's to 3-day-old greasy hair!

Be gone flu!

You better believe our family will be the first in line for the flu vaccine next year!

Oh, and just a word of warning, the aftermath is almost just as bad.

My tongue is so numb and tingly that food tastes like NOTHING.  But worst of all is that everything is annoying to me today.  Hmmm, we'll have to work on this one;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a serious note, though, I do have a few quick questions...

Can you get the flu again after just having it?  Should we go get the vaccine this year anyway?  How does your body know you've already gotten it?  Why are Saltines and GingerAle the food and beverage of choice when sick?  It makes it almost impossible to enjoy these things any other time in your life when they are constantly associated with puking and well, ahem...  I'd love some insight and wisdom:)

4 comments:

Emily said...

I've heard that the soda in saltines is supposed to help settle the stomach, and the same for the ginger in gingerale. At least that's what my mom use to tell me :) ... You could also try the brat diet... bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. It's supposed to be a bland diet that will be easier for you to digest while you are sick.
I'm not sure about the flu shot question. I don't like the idea of the flu shot because from what I understand, it's not the current strain of the flu, it is last year's, plus I just don't like the idea of giving my body an illness in hopes that I won't get it naturally. With my luck, chances are I would get it anyway! ha!
I hope you are feeling better soon!

ADawson said...

Hey, sorry you guys have been sick. No fun :(
To answer the flu shot question, the stomach 'flu' is different from the influenza shot that's given every year. The shot is for the respiratory influenza (though stomach problems can accompany that), but unfortunately it won't help the highly contagious stomach bug. Sure wish there was one of those shots though!

Hope you feel better soon!

Ryan Gladden said...

Your antibody production in your body will increase rapidly for the particular type of flu that you have, but there are thousands of different types of the flu. In theory, you can get sick right after you have the flu unless it's the same type of bacteria affecting your system. Clear sodas and crackers are the best because they provide your body with the sugar, salt, and water necessary for your body to fight off the infection. Since you lose fluids by vomiting and/or diarrhea, you need to replace them. Pure water won't get into your system well because your body needs a vehicle to carry it into your body. That vehicle is salt. The sugar in the clear sodas will provide your body with the energy that it needs to spend to help fight off the infection. Dark colored sodas usually have too much sugar and other ingredients that interfere with this process and can actually speed up bacterial growth in your body... Yes, I'm in school for Biology, in case you're wondering. Hope that you feel better soon.

The Via Colony said...

Ryan, what in the world? How do you Gladden boys always have all the good answers!:)

Thanks for all the biological answers, really, SO helpful!