Wednesday, June 4, 2008

To Love And To Cherish - Feminine Appeal

Several months ago I read THIS POST on my friend Lindsey's blog about a book she was reading called "Feminine Appeal" by Carolyn Mahaney.  I decided that I HAD to get it.  I always love a good toe-stepping word from God.  I am trying to slowly go through it even though I'd love to just sit down and read the whole thing at once.  This past week I've been reading about delighting in our husbands.  Not just "serving" them but actually STOP cleaning the house, making dinner or fixing the baby bottle, to look at our husbands for an uninterrupted minute and delight in them.  The word that Paul used in Titus 2 to describe the way our love should be toward our husbands isn't the Agape, self-sacrificing kind of love that comes most naturally to women, it is the word, Phileo, meaning affectionate.  We get so caught up in doing things for and serving our husbands that we could even begin to resent them for ALL that we are doing.  In fact she added this quote in her book by Jonathan Edwards:  "Resolved, whenever my feelings begin to appear in the least out of order, when I am conscious of the least uneasiness within, or the least irregularity without, I will then subject myself to the strictest examination."  Meaning, if I am being resentful toward my husbands it is a "heart" problem within myself.  I need to love him regardless of his response.  This chapter has really made me stop and appreciate, love and adore my husband.  I've been trying to think of some things that I can do to show this kind of love toward him like writing him notes or bringing coffee back from Starbuck's after I've had a meeting there.  What are some ways that you show YOUR husband that you love him affectionately?  I'd love to get some new ideas=)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN sister! :-) My husband often catches me just staring at him... and when he asks the inevitable "what?" my response is always... "Just admiring all of you!". Recognizing the gift that God has given we women in our marriage relationship can be an incredible tool in keeping the romance alive. Thanks for sharing girl.