Wednesday, March 18, 2015

How Food Preferences Reminded Me Of God's Love


We've had a couple of friends over today.

It was getting pretty close to noon and the kids had already started their circuit of asking for food: snacks, cookie balls, gum, pretzels...basically anything they could get their sticky little fingers on and shove in their mouths because let's be realistic here, it had been two hours since their last meal and sustenance was imperative!

So I began preparing 7 plates.

I have 3 Colony members who like jelly only.
2 who like peanut butter with their jelly.
2 use the gluten free bread.
2 only need a half a sandwich.
1 says bananas give her an itchy tongue so I gave her an orange.
1 doesn't like "cookie balls".
3 like tomatoes.

2 of the littles are not my own so I kind of had to guess at their preferences but I made small portions just in case they didn't prefer something, figuring they could always ask for more.

As soon as I perfected a plate I'd place it in its appropriate place at the table and move on to the next until I had 7 hand-picked meals.

As I stood back admiring the table of food, filled with 7 little plates, for 7 little humans, with 7 very different preferences for food I received a very sweet reminder from the Holy Spirit.

God knows each of these 7 kids.

Not only does he know exactly what kind of foods they prefer, but he can recall their favorite things to do in their spare time, things that have hurt them, people who have encouraged them, and more importantly...he knows their names.

But not just those seven names.  

He knows MY name.  
He knows YOUR name.  
And if you are a follower of Christ, He calls to you by that name.

He even knows how many hairs are on each of our heads.
Because he formed us in our mother's womb.

And he doesn't just know it for knowledge sake.
Oh no.
It is for a very specific purpose.
It is because he LOVES us!
And that reminder makes me feel safe.

"To him the gatekeeper opens.
The sheep hear his voice,
and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out."
John 10:3

No comments: