Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Weight Of Your Word

As I am reading through the Old Testament it is amazing to me to see how much weight our words can have.  Let me rephrase that, how much weight our words should have.

Take, for example, I Samuel 28:10.

Saul had banished all mediums and spiritists, yet he finds himself so desperate that he himself goes to seek council from one such medium.

She is terrified that she will be found out, but he simply gave "his word" that nothing would happen to her.

But, really, there is no "SIMPLY giving your word".  Back then, if you gave your word it meant something.  It carried the weight of truth.

I wonder what has happened?

Now we have to sign contracts and get them notarized and approved by court, to make things legal "just in case" something were to happen.

What happened to just trusting someone else's word?

No comments: