Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lessons From The Classroom

I'm not going to lie and say we've always got it together in the homeschool department around here.

As a matter of fact, last week the Lord was doing such a number in the heart's of our family that I was basically in survival mode.  This wasn't due to any awful or heart-wrenching experience, it was a good thing.  A VERY good thing!  But it consumed my whole being.  Have you ever had one of those days?

I was determined to do school, though.

My focus for this year has been to teach Areyna to read.  So, that's what we did.  We read and read and read some more!  Areyna read books to me, I read books to her, she read books to Zeke and Zeke made up stories to the pictures in the books:)

And that was our week.  I don't feel a bit guilty for it either.

I've come to realize that I can't try to be a kind of teacher that I am not.  If we are going to succeed at homeschooling I am going to have to learn to find out what kind of teacher I am, what kind of learners my children are, and stop worrying about the friends around me who do it differently.  I am beginning to realize that there isn't a wrong or right way of doing this thing, just different ways to do them.

So, whether you are a workbook kind of mama, a curriculum following kind of mama, a fly by the seat of your pants kind of mama,  or a artsy, hands-on kind of mama, if we are seeking the Lord in this journey we can't go wrong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow did I need that! I was on "I am putting the kids back on a school bus" mode last week, feeling inadequate and like I was failing at teaching them the "right" stuff :(
I got away to my sister in laws in Virginia for a few days, was able to watch her homeschool routine and see that there is NO rhyme or reason to it, that's why it's so great! Kids are getting customized one on one education and the Lord has got to guide my steps in this, not my constant drippings of inadequacy :)
Great blog Tasha!