Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Surprise Encounter

I am finishing up a book called Satisfy My Thirsty Soul by Linda Dillow.  This weeks focus is on encounters with God.  She urges us to schedule times with the Lord.  This not only makes room for God in our busy day but it opens up the door to "Surprise Encounters" with our Heavenly Father.

Throughout the chapter she highlights times in her life where she has found herself in a surprise encounter with God.  They are such sweet testimonies of God's presence.

It got me thinking of times in my life where God was undoubtedly present at a particular time.  One being just a month ago.

Right after Micaiah was born the doctors brought him up and put him on my chest.  While I laid there cuddling my newborn son all I could do was praise God.  Praise Him for his blessing of children.  Praise Him for my sweet, growing family.  Praise Him for a healthy baby.  Praise Him for the end of labor pains.  Just praise Him.  He was all I could think about.

That night, and the following night, in the hospital I found myself laying in bed, awake, and not being able to stop smiling and feeling so full of thanksgiving.  I guess after the emotions that the delivery put me through I was left thinking about the sweet little babies that never make it into this world, ours included, whom the Lord created but that we'll never be able to meet this side of heaven.  Realizing the gift that I was holding in my arms, I was overwhelmed by God's goodness.

It was the second night in the hospital that I was brought to tears by a presence in the room.  A sweet presence.  I knew God was there and very close.  I could feel Him.  All I could do was lay there and bask in His presence.  What a sweet encounter that was.

Have you ever had a surprise encounter with God?

1 comment:

sheltonfamily said...

Our time with Mary in the hospital was very similar. I think cause she was our third and I know so much more about children and the blessing etc... I wanted to stay there for a long time and just be with her and Mike. It is truly a gift!