Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Facebook Fast

Okay, I'm going to be brutally open and honest here.  I have decided to partake in a Facebook Fast.  "What the heck is that?" you ask.  Let me explain.

The only reason Josh and I got a Facebook account was for our ministry.  This was before I figured out how to make a Josh & Tasha Via MUSIC page so we just went with a joint "Personal" page.  We soon found out it is a GREAT way to get and stay connected with people.  All sorts of people from past, present and even future people we may meet.  

For me this has become a bit difficult during these hormonal pregnancy days.  As a women one of my biggest struggles is playing the comparison game.  Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about...

I might see one of my good friends hanging out with what appears to be all my other friends and it makes me a little sad that I can't be there.  

Then, I see one of my high school buddies out having a good time and drinking way too much but having what seems to be the time of their lives.  Still single, with no attachments, and a huge smile on all their faces.  Am I sad that I can't be there?!  No way, but something begins to tug at me.

Then, I'll go to a fellow musician's page where they have all these HUGE events lined up and all these awesome gigs to play.

Then, I'll go to yet another friend who is a mommy to adorable little children.  She is hugging on them, kissing on them, and playing cute games with them.  She appears to be the perfect mom.  Then I totally feel like a failure as a mother...

Okay, you can see where I'm going with this.  It appears that everyone always feels like they have a ton of best friends, it appears like their life is more fun or better, it appears like their ministry or career is taking off better than mine, it appears that she is a better mom than I am...

You see, you can make your life look however you want it to.  Is it a bad thing to post pictures of you and your friends having a good time?  No way!  Do I think Facebook is a bad thing?  Absolutely NOT!  Do I ALWAYS get these feelings when I hang out on Facebook for more than 5 minutes?  Not at all!  It's just when I start to dwell on other's lives and blessings instead of my own.

So for me, right now I am working on being content with where God has placed me, being content in who God has made me and being content with how God has blessed me and it's hard for me to do that while I see just the appearances and the surfaces of other's lives.  When my heart is ready then I'll jump back on the Facebook train but for now Josh will just have to take my messages for me=)

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is
honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable
if there is any moral excellence and if there is
any praise - dwell on these things."
Philippians 4:8
Post a Comment