Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Always Want To Get Back There

Josh and I were at Ridge Church on Sunday.  It was one of my favorite Sundays there, for more than one reason...
*I LOVE to see a godly church plant growing=)
*Josh did a GREAT job leading worship!
*Pastor Chris Brown got to preach live and he is a GREAT communicator!
*I felt the presence of God so heavy upon my heart during the worship that all I could do was cry.

I didn't play.  Plans changed last minute and I had another week violin free!  That isn't why it was so good though.  It was one of those Sundays where I felt totally captivated by God.  Totally in His presence.  It was one of those moments that I am going to remember, I'm going to strive to get back to, for the rest of my life.  I admit that, even as a worship leader, I sometimes have to MAKE myself worship.  It doesn't always come naturally like it should.

Before the message even started Pastor Chris was just speaking from his heart and at one point he mentioned that there will be a moment in your life that you'll feel so close to God that you can't get it out of your head and you will spend the rest of your life striving to get back to that place.

One of those moments for me was when I was working at Camp Longridge as a camp counselor during the summers between my college years.  One summer in particular sticks out in my mind.  I felt in constant conversation with God throughout the day.  I remember waking up early each morning to start my day with Him before the campers got up and feeling so close to Him.  I remember that time often and want to get back to that place.  

Sunday was another "moment" that I will never forget.

What are some of YOUR moments that can't escape your mind?  Where do you strive to get back to?

2 comments:

Jen said...

I went to a church retreat several years back. We weren't allowed to bring our purses, or our cell phones-infact, we didn't even have an alarm clock! One of the volunteers of the retreat would walk up and down the halls w/ a large bell and ring it until we were all awake. During this retreat- My cup was overfilled with God's grace. I did not fret about the past or the future- I just lived in the present. Over the years I have let that comforting warm love espace. I'm still trying to get back to how I felt then. It can be very challenging. I just finished a book called The Shack by William Paul Young. If you have not read it- you should. It has been life changing for me. I borrowed the book from my mother, and there were many times when I wanted to highlight and circle sentences that spoke to me. It has changed the way I think of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Needless to say I'm purchasing my own book very soon.

Chris Brown said...

I'm very honored by your words. I thought Josh did an amazing job leading as well. Of course we always love having you leading too. But it was a blessing to me to have you as a worshiper looking at the stage from a different direction as well--for one day only! You are both a blessing to Ridge Church. Thanks.