Monday, December 1, 2008

Grocery Experiment - So Far So Good

In November I started a new grocery experiment.  I wanted to share my results with you.  Maybe it will be of some help to some of you.

Here are my rules...

***NOTE:  I don't have a separate budget for household items, diapers and medicine.  These are all included***

1-Go to the ATM and withdraw $140 cash.  (Not sure why I chose this amount, it's just a goal I'd like to keep) This has to last us for 2 weeks.  Why cash?  Because that is the only true way of keeping track of how much you've spent and what you've got left to spend.  Plus, if you run out of cash IT'S GONE; THAT's IT, and you are more likely to spend less money so you can stretch that dollar=)

2-Go to Aldi and stock up on pantry essentials to last us for 2 weeks plus produce and perishables to last for one week.

3-Hit up the rock bottom deals from the Grocery Game at Harris Teeter on the way home.

4-The leftover cash I have after I've made these 2 stops will be to get produce and any rock bottom deals at Harris Teeter the following week.

First 2 week results - Went $3 over budget (this included my weekly CVS trips)
Second 2 week results - Went $10 over budget (this included the food I made for our Thanksgiving get-together at the Via's, the stuff I made for Areyna's Thanksgiving feast at her school and the $1.86 I spent for a TON of FREE stuff at CVS last week)

I love that I don't have to feel rushed to get to the grocery store every week and that it takes less time to prepare for this trip.  I think I'll stick with it.

At this rate I'll be averaging right around $280 for groceries a month.  

Do you grocery shop every week, 2 times a month or 1 big time a month?  I'd love to hear your input...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICELY DONE TASHA!!!

((i don't really have input because I'm not good at organizing this sort of thing;-)))

Rita said...

I take $125 (cash, like you) every time I get paid (on the 1st and 15th). I plan out my menus for two weeks using the sales papers from two local grocery stores. I shop. And I freeze stuff like it's my job!

And, like you, that money is for groceries and "other stuff". Of course, I don't have two kids, so ... no diapers or kid-things.

Emily Jennings said...

Hey...got your newsletter and I LOVE the Christmas card!

Tony C said...

Every two weeks is the big trip to the grocery store, but we end up doing filler runs.

We are making an all out effort to eat at home and STOP EATING FAST FOOD! Please pray for us.

I love the cash plan. Passing this along to the wife...she won't let me shop...probably because of Oreos. I really love 'em!