Friday, October 31, 2008

Jobs

One of my friends called me the other day to tell me about this panel survey she qualified for.  All you have to do is go and answer some questions about lotion and get $100 cash.  Well, not knowing ANYTHING about where I was going and who was in charge I didn't figure I should go.  Besides, I could tell Josh was about as on board with this idea as he was when I worked for the Prison in Raleigh.  Yes, you read that right.  

I was on staff at the Prison in downtown Raleigh as a Teacher's assistant.  Don't worry, it only lasted 1 day!  I guess the last straw was a conversation between me and Josh that went something like this...

Josh - "You went through all that security?"
Me - "Yeah, don't worry babe, they all had their hand cuffs on the whole time I walked by them.  Until they get to the school on the top floor..."
Josh - "What, the school is on the top floor?!?!"
Me - "Yeah, but..."
Josh - "...and they don't have handcuffs on or restraints when they are RIGHT NEXT TO YOU?!"
Me - "...well..."
Josh - "...and how do they keep up their assignments without any sharp objects?"
Me - "They have pencils"
Josh - "You are quitting tomorrow!"

So, my second day on the job was to go turned in my books ... and my COOL SECURITY TAG (I was really only in it for the official badge - I've always wanted to be under cover or something and this was the closest I'd ever gotten to this line of work!=)

Anyway, it got me thinking about some of the other jobs I've had throughout the years...

1-A cashier at Piggly Wiggly - all throughout high school (this was my very first job)
2-I have played violin gigs ever since middle school (church orchestras, quartets, weddings, etc.)
3-Cracker Barrel waitress- yet another job that only lasted until my training was over.  I HATED IT!!  I went in to give my 2 week notice and they said, don't even bother=)
4-Admin. Assistant at Carolina Hope Christian Adoption Agency - I loved this job!  Back then there were only me and my 2 bosses on staff.  They've really grown!
5-Christan Counselor's office -  This was only a temp. job and man was I glad for it to be over!  All I did was answer phones, but there were like 5 lines.  It was like AIM on steroids, AHHH!
6-Senior Center in Wendell- Our slogan was ... "I'm Awake, I'm Alive, and I Feel Good"=)  I worked in the same building as my friend Emily even though we had a separate group of people.  Boy, that was an interesting job!  
7-Millbrook United Methodist PreSchool, music teacher - fun but challenging, especially since I said I'd never work with kids or be a teacher=)
8-Nanny - After I'd get off work at the preschool I'd drive over to pick Melissa up from school.  She started first grade when I first started watching her.  We still keep in contact with her family.
9-Coupon clipper/Deal Finder - yup, Josh says we just couldn't afford for me to go back to work outside the home=)
10-Mommy-by far my favorite of them all!

It's your turn!  What are some jobs you've had, crazy or ordinary, fun or boring.  I want to know!!!

2 comments:

Joy said...

My first job was as a poet. Yup, you read that right! I was an apprentice in a poetry workshop and got paid to just around in the sunshine, with a group of other writers, and just write and later "perform" at coffeehouses and outdoor arenas.

I've also worked in a nursing home and a hospital. My least favorite job was a cook at a coffeehouse! They were soooooo rude and mean to me there and then asked me to quit when I told them I was pregnant with Elaina.

Michaelle said...

Well, lets see...I have been a CNA, a courthouse switchboard operator, a White Castle employee, plus numerous other "freelance" jobs to make ends meet (housecleaning, errand-runner, senior sitter, baby sitter).